Rain, Sleet, or Snow...do you still go?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We usually can't legally cut firewood in August. It is the time of high fire danger and restrictions go in place. Firewood cutting gets cut off as soon as we reach Level III, which, in logging talk, is a partial hootowl day.

?? what happened to Washington's "spotted owl day" year around holiday...?? that makes for a tough=hard day of cutting more than the op,s opening topic.

?? what happened to Washington's "spotted owl day" year around holiday...?? that makes for a tough=hard day of cutting more than the op,s opening topic.

Spotted owl restrictions are generally from March 1 to July 1 on the National Forest in areas where because of owls, firewooding is already very restrictive. These areas are called Late Seral Reserves (old growth type stands) and honest firewooders are allowed only to cut trees that are blocking roads or designated with paint. It isn't 100% of the Forest Service ground nor does it affect where I cut on private land. Fire danger does. We do have different zones with different micro climates and conditions in each of those dictates what fire restrictions are in place for all lands--private and public.

If there is an active nest, the Spotted Owl time can go into August.

Spotted Owl ground is mostly on the West side of the Cascade Mtns. Eastside forests are less restrictive.

My free time is extremely limited lately. So when I actually have time to cut/split/stack...I go. Regardless of weather. Plus, the stove feels twice as nice to sit by after coming in from working in the rain or snow.

Latest posts

Back