raising the BSM bed sections on the LT-15

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
looks an ideal slab for a mill . i would put it together ,and re arrange as i dont seem to get it right the first time . would be great with a roof over , cheers Bob

The Original plan was to put the mill where the tractor is sitting in the last posted pictures. Then when I build out the other half of the cover over the slab I would move the mill over to that side.

I had started to lay it out under the cover and was going to set some posts to start the frame for it when I decided I didn't want to move this twice. I also remembered I have a 60 amp service line that goes to a trailer hook-up over by where the mill currently sits. It is buried about 2 foot or was it 4 foot just past that slab :confused: about 18 inches deep... about where the tractor sits in that picture. I'll just put it on the slab and add a 14x30 tarp over the slab for now... :)

Like they say, PLANS CHANGE! :dizzy:

Speaking of plans I better get out there and do something.

Ted

I had started to lay it out under the cover and was going to set some posts to start the frame for it when I decided I didn't want to move this twice. I also remembered I have a 60 amp service line that goes to a trailer hook-up over by where the mill currently sits. It is buried about 2 foot or was it 4 foot just past that slab :confused: about 18 inches deep... about where the tractor sits in that picture. I'll just put it on the slab and add a 14x30 tarp over the slab for now... :)
Ted,

My thought is that your better extending the cover out and continuing with the slope that is there. The reason is that some folks do find it difficult to get a forklift in if the roof is too low, I've seen more than one situation like that.

By extending the roof and continuing the current slope, it will open up the side the sawmill will be sitting on more, so that if in the future you do need to use a forklift (i.e., lift more weight than your tractor will lift), you will be able to access the edge of the concrete slab. Hope that makes sense the way I describe it. There was a guy on the east coast (possibly NC) with a LumberMate that ran into this problem and added a chain lift to move the logs to the side so he could get them on the forklift, it looked like a PITA to be honest, and I think he might have abandoned it since.

Yep, The WoodButcher is the guy, here's a pic of his mill, and even in this case the height is pretty high to access the sawmill bed, just that some forklifts require more than others.

dscf0989.jpg.w560h420.jpg

EDIT: My forklift has what is known as Free-Lift, so that the triple mast will only extend up when it needs to and has a low height by default when it is all the way down. Again, not all forklifts were designed equal in this regard...Food for thought! :)

Last edited:
As far as extending / building the rest of the cover it will have to wait. There are soooo many other things that need to get done first. In the meantime a full length tarp over it will do fine for now...

But I did do something today....
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

And since the bed section was right there I moved it up to get a general idea. I didn't level it for the picture, but you get the idea!

attachment.php

Later,
Ted

As far as extending / building the rest of the cover it will have to wait. There are soooo many other things that need to get done first. In the meantime a full length tarp over it will do fine for now...
That'll work for the time being.
But I did do something today....
Good progress! Starting to look good.

Finally we got a break in the weather, the forecast is for no rain for the next 10 days. I'm gonna cut down the big ponderosa pine cant I have, into shelving tomorrow, for my office.

I think I can get about 6-7 8/4 boards, 16.5' long.

...UPDATED PICS FROM TODAY:
attachment.php
That is one lifting sling there Ted! lol

Looks good, how long is your bed now with the extensions?

EDIT: I think it must be 13.5 feet + 12 (25.5') unless it's 4 x 6' sections? It looks bigger to me, but what do I know...

I tossed mine on some 3x3s today and cut a few 8/4 15"x16.5' shelves, or at least I plan to use it as shelving. I forgot the camera but took some on my cell phone, and strugling to get them sent to my email...if I figure it out I'll post pics, or get some tomorrow. My setup will be nice once I can figure out the yard/forklift.

I think I can get 3 more shelves out of the cant I started cutting. It's blue stained ponerosa pine. It looks kinda cool...I was trying to give them a bit more than 2"...they are pretty beefy at 16.5 feet long. I might cut them in half.

Last edited:
That is one lifting sling there Ted! lol

Looks good, how long is your bed now with the extensions?

EDIT: I think it must be 13.5 feet + 12 (25.5') unless it's 4 x 6' sections? It looks bigger to me, but what do I know...

I wanted to make sure the bed section didn't twist, and picked up level... and it did on the first try. Kinda surprised me after looking at the sling configuration I wrapped that sucker in!!!!

Each bed section is 6'-8" long... you better do the math... I'm going to bed. It's been a long day counting the other things I did also...

Later,
Ted

I wanted to make sure the bed section didn't twist, and picked up level... and it did on the first try. Kinda surprised me after looking at the sling configuration I wrapped that sucker in!!!!

Each bed section is 6'-8" long... you better do the math... I'm going to bed. It's been a long day counting the other things I did also...

Later,
Ted
26.66 feet, less a few feet for the carriage I guess. Your a few feet shorter. I can cut a 27' log on my 30' bed.

Seems like the majority of bandmills are 20 feet or less. I think the extra length is valuable. I want another 10, that would let me get a 37 foot log. That would be a good log for my yard, but even I think I can handle a 40 foot log in my small yard. Even so, I'm close to 32 feet, which the long sides of my log home are. I bet a 40 log is pretty tough to move around, length wise, just to balance it. I know that there's quite a difference between 28 feet and 32 feet, 4 feet makes quite a difference. I'm sure another 8 feet would be even that much more!

Well, finally got the bed sections leveled out and the head unit put on, just got to set some screws into the leveling feet to help anchor it down.

Next, I have to build a log ramp with a winch.

Later,
Ted

attachment.php

attachment.php

Well, finally got the bed sections leveled out and the head unit put on, just got to set some screws into the leveling feet to help anchor it down.
Lookin' good Ted!

I just got some leveling feet made up for me. 8" of all thread on a 3"x3" 1/4" thick plate.

attachment.php

Last edited:
Nice set up.

It was this thread that got me thinking to put 6x6's under my CSM. Here they are buried in sawdust already.

I was able to get 6x6x24' PT posts for $84 a piece and they were actually straight.

Nice set up.

It was this thread that got me thinking to put 6x6's under my CSM. Here they are buried in sawdust already.

I was able to get 6x6x24' PT posts for $84 a piece and they were actually straight.
attachment.php

A few minutes with the blower and I'll be good to go now.

Ted

Looks good Alan, do you have enough, and what's your spacing going to be?

Ted
I have a dozen of them, there are 10 holes on each side at 3' between centers, kinda-sorta. I'm just planning to use 6 on each side, over 30' (total length of the bed).

This will be enough, IMO.

How much space are between your leveling feet? How long is the bed?

I have a dozen of them, there are 10 holes on each side at 3' between centers, kinda-sorta. I'm just planning to use 6 on each side, over 30' (total length of the bed).

This will be enough, IMO.

How much space are between your leveling feet? How long is the bed?

Total length of the bed is 26'-10", 4 sections at 6'-8 1/2" each, and each section has four levelers about 12 to 18 inches from the ends.

Total length of the bed is 26'-10", 4 sections at 6'-8 1/2" each, and each section has four levelers about 12 to 18 inches from the ends.
Ted,

I think mine will be similar, you have 16 levelers but need 4 for each section. My feet will be spaced about 5 - 6 feet apart.

I was going to order 20 of them, which I have the number of feet/tabs for, but then figure no sense in just ordering more as I probably didn't need all of them.

I finally had a little amount of time to do something on the mill, installed the power feed unit that I bought since I purchased the mill. I haven't cut any wood yet with it as it was getting late Sunday when I was finishing the install. Overall, it tracks smooth and it has the variable speed control. The only thing to make it easier than having to use the old crank is to add a chair on a track also.... :laugh:

Ted

attachment.php

I finally had a little amount of time to do something on the mill, installed the power feed unit that I bought since I purchased the mill. I haven't cut any wood yet with it as it was getting late Sunday when I was finishing the install. Overall, it tracks smooth and it has the variable speed control. The only thing to make it easier than having to use the old crank is to add a chair on a track also.... :laugh:

Ted

If not a chair, at least a drink holder and some place to put your glasses. I would imagine you might need a quick splash during your cut as you won't have much else to do but watch now. Nice setup.

Back