Raker files

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Erock

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
As of now I have a 91dl Carlton chain on my 460. I don't like the chain because my 13/64 file just makes a deeper gully and doesn't take back the cutting edge when I pair it with my husky clip on file guide. Anyone else cross this issue? I'm just hand filing it now till I burn it up. My Stihl loops all sharpen perfect with that set up.

Another issue that I found is the rakers don't file down easy like they're hardened. I have never used nor never will use a grinder on my chains. I thought my Raker file was shot so I went to my dealer to pick one up. 5.00 for a damn file, eat s***. How come they're so speedy? And I also saw another thread here that someone said Carlton is hard to file the rakers so is that pretty consistent? And what other kind of file can I use for rakers that I don't have to give my arm and leg for?

Thanks guys merry christmas

Carllton recommends 7/32" file for their 3/8 pitch chain. 13/64" is a STIHL thing.

Your Husky file guide may also not be compatible with the Carlton brand chain. It depends on the height and shape of the cutters, since it supports the file from below. You might try one of the basic, flat, file guides, which support the file from the top of the cutter at the correct depth. Or a Granberg type file guide.

Any type of smooth, flat file should work for your depth gages. File them inside out. Maybe try at a slight angle, if that helps.

Philbert
image.jpg

I'm awar of filing from in to out and such. Must be just this chain is being a pita? At least it was a freebie. I'll try out the Raker gauge. Thank you

Any item bought through a dealership will be more costly than one bought from a general hardware store. I have had great success with Nicholson and Simonds files but if the metal is too hard for a file then all that is left is grinding.

Any item bought through a dealership will be more costly than one bought from a general hardware store.

Good point. OP is from Minnesota, where that store where 'you save BIG money' is located. I usually get the file and a depth gauge filing tool there for $4 -$5 or so; less when on sale.

I have had good experience with Carlton chains in general. Used to hand file all depth gauges, although, I have been using the grinder more, since I learned how to avoid overheating them.

Some guys use a Dremel tool.

Philbert

I use an 8" mill 2nd cut and the first time you file the depth gauges you will be removing the chrome layer. After that they should file smoothly.

You could also shim up your roller guide or hold up the rear of the file as I do from time to time.

Homelite, I think that was the answer I was looking for, makes perfect sense. Guess the first 1 or 2 Raker adjustments will be a bastard till I get em down to softer metal.
Philbert, I like the butter knife idea. Usually I just use my leather glove to guard the tooth but that likes to pinch holes in my gloves after a while.

Back