Raker Height/rim teeth combo for 371/372xp

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zippy

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I've always set the raker height on my chains pretty much as per the gauges say - around 25 or 30 thou and use a 7 tooth rim.

I ran a professional arborists MS660 recently and it ate through the wood like a crazed monster. Way out cut my 371xp even in small (18") wood. When I looked at the chain the rakers were more like 60 thou below the cutters.

Just got me wondering - am I missing a trick?

Are all pros running like this or is it more normal to put a bigger rim (8 or 9 tooth) on when the powerhead is oversized for the bar - or both?

What setup would you recommend for a 371xp with 23" bar/chain in mixture of hard and soft woods - pine/conifer/birch/oak/ash/beech etc?

Sorry if this has been done before - just made me wonder.

Well depends on what your cutting,I cut soft wood and I run at .30 to .35 a and a sharp chain and I have same setup on my 371 and 372 7 and 8 pin.

On saws at or over 100cc's I run .035-.040 and that 660 is probably at 99cc. But .060 is a bit much, it will grab pretty bad and chatter in the cut. That 371 should pull .030 without problems and I wouldn't go any more than that.

Ok thanks.

Ok - thanks for the advice. 0.030 it is.

I was just wondering if the raker height was mainly about reducing kickback but sounds like its also about reducing stresses on saw/chain and making a smooth operation too.

This 660 was a bit lively in the cut but the chain was very sharp so it wasn't shocking - I guess it'll be more lively if the chain dulls a bit.

what do you recommend for mixed cutting - hard and soft woods?

I usually run close to .030" on my chains. I don't have a .030" gauge so I just check them with a .025" gauge and then lower them a swipe or 2 with a flat file. The hook on the cutter or the angle of the top plate if square will make more of a difference on how much bite it takes rather than the rakers. You can add more hook without lowering the rakers and make a chain grabby.

Back