Ramsplitter electric and wet pine...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nvrs

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hey guys, been searching all the threads about the electric ramsplitter.

I have the tools but not the time to build my own splitter and an electric splitter is the only way for me to go since I don't think my neighbors would like to hear an engine running all day and night.

I would like to be able to transport it to my dads house and let him split since the both of us only burn about 5-15 cords total a year(damn them environmental no burn days:msp_mad:).

The thing I would like to know is... Will it split wet pine? Right now I have the ryobi 4 ton jobbie and while it is small and slow, it works somewhat for what I get since most of my wood is free from local cutters(could be any species). I recently scored what appears to be about 3 cords of ash, and the ryobi is handling it ok if its strait grained but anything with knots and crotches are a no-go for it.

I have 220v power available at my house but my dad doesn't in his garage. For now it seems that I will need to run it off a 110v circuit. I would like to get the 20 ton but don't think it will run very well on the 110 side. It seems like the 16 ton would be more in the range of what my dad's power source can handle.

Will the 16 ton split wet pine? The pine(mostly from the sf bay are and sometimes from the sierras) I usually get here weighs a ton and is real sappy.

I've been hearing that... but will it split wet pine? The Supersplit would run off the 110v circuit for sure... pretty pricey tho...

Wow, that splitter is nice... dual gas and electric... can't beat that.

Although I am pretty sure that your rig will split just about anything I could throw at it, I am leaning towards a smaller non towable unit that I can mount off the back of my M101A2 trailer. I was thinking of welding a couple of receivers on the underside of the trailer and corresponding on the splitter and be able to piggyback it on the backside for the drive home after I get a load of wood.

Oh and the other thing, I don't think my pocketbook can afford a rig of that capacity at this time... The second reason(first is because I like to) I have been burning so much the past 10 years is that it helps out with the utility bills a bunch... and now that the house is finally insulated and the doors and windows have been changed, I would like to not use the furnace at all in the winter of possible. My price range for this is going to have to be in the $1000 to $1800 area(which is why I am here and not after the supersplit like everyone says I should get). If I had the time and energy to run a wood business(which seems to be very lucrative here), I would not hesitate to go right into a large towable unit like you have there.

Having never owned a full size splitter, I really don't know what kind of tonnage I need to do the kind of work necessary. I do know that the 4 ton ryobi just does not cut it.

Last edited:
I would get a Super Split with the electric motor. Split darn near anything...;)

I've been hearing that... but will it split wet pine? The Supersplit would run off the 110v circuit for sure... pretty pricey tho...
Yes, it will split wet pine very easy, or wet/dry anything. I would much rather have an elec Super Split (FAST) than elec hydro (kind of SLOW).

The white pine I've split seems harder to split than the hard maple I've split......Although it is freshly cut and bigger...20"+. My American Splitter (Hydraulic 25HH) will make the water and pitch run out of it like crazy and usually slow going until I get further up the tree and out of the trunk area, seems to cut it more than split it. In the trunk area the grain is all over the place. I have enough power for most anything but IMHO the pine is nothing "easy" like splitting ash or straight grain. Maybe it is just the trees we've taken down. On limbs coming off the tree it has no problem. All the experience I can give you on that.

OP, I think I would check into a few things before making a purchase. first off, find out what the noise ordinances are in your area. A log splitter doesn't make a whole lot more noise than a lawnmower.If the law allows engine noises between what ever hours, I would step next door and talk with the neighbors if they live that close to you that you are worrying about ticking them off.

I don't know a dang thing about electric splitters, but common sense tells me that you are never going to find a production model that will run off of 110V. If it will push the tonnage, its going to be mighty dang slow.You mentioned selling firewood, well my friend when it comes to making a profit, time is the factor right along side your out of pocket expenses. If you end up taking an entire day busting out a cord of wood you might as well just spend a few over time hours at your day job and be that much further ahead.

My advise in a nutshell, do some checking around with the laws and your neighbors if you really want to bust that much wood that you are considering 20 plus tons of splitting force.Gas is the only way to go in that arena unless you have good access straight to your main panel.

Electric log splitter

I have a Ram Splitter 20 ton it will split 12 inch pine log across the grain. It has a electric 3 hp does a great job I have set up to switch to tractor hydraulics. Later

Cool, and your 20ton model has the 4" x 24" ram with the 3 hp? Or is it something different?

Latest posts

Back