Ran over a new stihl ms261c with a backhoe..help with parts

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ckc189

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
My buddy accidentally ran over my very new ms261c with a backhoe which broke a LOT of parts on it but it actually still cranks and runs. I'm trying to figure out what saws have have parts in common that I could maybe get a worn out saw and take all the plastics and handles and other parts off of. How feasible do you think this is?? Like does a ms271 have everything similar except for the motor...etc? Any other suggestions not to have to throw away a $600 saw or to purchase the cost of the saw in parts?
Thanks for the help

My buddy accidentally ran over my very new ms261c with a backhoe which broke a LOT of parts on it but it actually still cranks and runs. I'm trying to figure out what saws have have parts in common that I could maybe get a worn out saw and take all the plastics and handles and other parts off of. How feasible do you think this is?? Like does a ms271 have everything similar except for the motor...etc? Any other suggestions not to have to throw away a $600 saw or to purchase the cost of the saw in parts?
Thanks for the help
I think your buddy just bought you a new saw, and he get's the old one.

That's what I'd do if I crushed someone's almost new saw. And I'd expect my friends to do the same... or they aren't going to stay my friends.

I guess the exception might be if you set it behind him while he was in the machine, there by wasn't able to see it... or if he was doing a job for you, at the six-pack price.

That's what I'd do if I crushed someone's almost new saw. And I'd expect my friends to do the same... or they aren't going to stay my friends.

I guess the exception might be if you set it behind him while he was in the machine, there by wasn't able to see it... or if he was doing a job for you, at the six-pack price.
He has offered to pay for it but he was just helping me for the 6pack price and i don't want to make him pay for it

Who left the saw in the line of fire?
It wasnt really in the line of fire...He was dragging trees in reverse over to where I was cutting them and just didnt see it. Either way, it was an accident and Im not going to ask him to pay for it. Any other saws that may have a lot of the same parts??

Insurance. Buddy owes you a saw. You screwed up. Whats this thread all about???

It wasnt really in the line of fire...He was dragging trees in reverse over to where I was cutting them and just didnt see it. Either way, it was an accident and Im not going to ask him to pay for it. Any other saws that may have a lot of the same parts??
Always keep it behind a Tree.

I had my neighbor graze my 461. Since then I have seen him squarely run over his own saw(s). Happens so often it is like he is aiming for the saws. I've learned that the saws can not be further away to keep them protected. For the OP, lesson learned.

Back