Rate My Stump thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nah, some of the old ones are classics!

attachment.php

speaking of hingewood

attachment.php

Too funny, I forgot about those. I pic I was also looking for was on the Ryan Willock falling thread by D Babcock, but the pictures gone for some reason.:confused:
John

I would like to do at least one tree of that magnitude in my lifetime. There are a few cedars and douglas firs that big in the mountains a couple hours east of here still. Got some about half that size closer to home (a few hundred yards from the stump in the pic) lined up for later in the fall or next year, depending. The ol' 090 needs to eat eh!

Brought down a sick Birch out back by the shop on Sunday:

attachment.php

It didn't go exactly where I would have liked it to since that would have been impossible, but it went right where I knew I could put it. I'd have liked to get it to fall well to the right of the cinder block in the photo, but as it was the huge limbs visible were originally pulling the tree heavily in the opposite direction along with a slight lean that way (it had an ugly gnarly top, I forgot to take a pic before dropping it), and the largest remaining birch also prevented me from putting it that way too without damaging it.

attachment.php

It's about 16" at the butt - my cant hook's handle is 4' long. FWIW that cant hook is probably older than even most members here. Anyway I estimate the main bole is about 30' long, and it doesn't taper a whole lot. The bottom 10' especially should mill up really nicely. There are also a lot of promising small crotches in the branches to turn handles etc. from. It's too bad I didn't get it a bit earlier since the sap is well up now, but I had a dead vehicle parked there until a few days ago.

attachment.php

I ended up a tad high on the back cut, probably 2.5", but it did the job. I left a bit of a dutchman on the far side (you can see where it tore some wood out; judge me if you want but it worked) to help pitch it out away from the other trees, and I also wedged it from that side instead of straight in. It went over really nice. It was some kind of tricky cutting though, in around the two still-standing Birches there without cutting into them. I couldn't just dog in and cut very much so I ended up cutting a lot of the backcut with just a few inches of the tip of the bar. I'm probably going to go in and take that stump down a foot or so again - there is some curly grain in the face where the hinge wood tore, so it might have some potential for a bowl or two, especially down farther where it flares out more.

The tree was under attack by the friggin' Bronze Birch Borer beetles - they're taking all the decent Birch around here that are out in the open and along the roads. The ones deeper in the bush seem to be doing OK so far. The top had been dead for a couple years, evident by its disintegration upon hitting the ground, so since it was a good-sized tree I decided to take it now while the rest was still usable. Otherwise the brown stain you can see will progress to rot within a year or two and it'll go hollow in a couple more.

Last edited:
Nice work...what's up with the trim on the swell?

attachment.php

Looking at the saw and the bar, was that 404 on an 044? The bar tip looks like the 404 tip. If so, all the more power to ya. Don't be offended by the left coast guys who say you don't have enough bar. It takes more skill than what they have to drop a tree that's larger than the bar. Lol
John

Last edited:
Looking at the saw and the bar, was that 404 on an 044? The bar tip looks like the 404 tip. If so, all the more power to ya. Don't be offended by the left coast guys who say you don't have enough bar. It takes more skill than what they have to drop a tree that's larger than the bar. Lol
John

Heh don't get me wrong, I've taken my share of trees with smaller bars (once a 40" Dougie with a Pioneer P41 & 22" bar). I just think that big bars look cooler in big stump shots like that. Like how a 375 H&H Mag looks better with a grizzly trophy than a little lever-action .30-30.:cheers:

Heh don't get me wrong, I've taken my share of trees with smaller bars (once a 40" Dougie with a Pioneer P41 & 22" bar). I just think that big bars look cooler in big stump shots like that. Like how a 375 H&H Mag looks better with a grizzly trophy than a little lever-action .30-30.:cheers:

You have a good point there Morgan, but look how much better the story would have been had you taken him out with the 30-30. I think I once took down a 48" Rock Maple with an 044 16" bar, but it would have been so much easier had I used a 20" bar. It's just the shorter bars cut like crazy when sharp.
John

I like falling big trees with small chainsaws, it was also part of my training. Falling a 50" tree with a 24" bar, is like sawing on a 9' tree with a 48" bar.
It is fun, and educational.
I shot a Blackie with a 222 Rem, it died in it's tracks. The Panther I chased with a hatchet, well, it almost got away.

Last edited:
John

It was a 25" .404 on a MS660 Arctic edition. The saw was originally from Revelstoke! It came with full wrap handle bars and a 32" bar.

It was a 25" .404 on a MS660 Arctic edition. The saw was originally from Revelstoke! It came with full wrap handle bars and a 32" bar.

Nice, it's great to have a saw with some history. In Revelstoke, it probably saw nothing but cedar and fir. Once again, beautiful job on the cherry. Was it for firewood or were you gonna sell or mill the butt log?
John

Nice, it's great to have a saw with some history. In Revelstoke, it probably saw nothing but cedar and fir. Once again, beautiful job on the cherry. Was it for firewood or were you gonna sell or mill the butt log?
John

That log brought $800 as veneer.

Latest posts

Back