Re-wedging an Axe, bad idea?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

klaus von herten

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Howdy all! Hope you are having a blessed Easter Week!

I have a question regarding the practice of re-wedging an axe that had become loose?

I inherited a True American USA Michigan-style axe from my pop, and it’s sat in my Phoenix garage for 5 summers. Don’t know too much about these axes but apparently you can still buy them.

As you might imagine, nearly all of the moisture has been driven out of the wood and the axe head is now a little loose.

The handle looks like it’s in great shape there are no cracks to be found anywhere that I can see.

I have driven in another wedge closer to the front where it seems like it had been a little loose. Now it’s tight. The kerf has seemed to have moved a bit downwards, however. Is this a false sense of security, or is this generally good to go?

I have another handle a 34 inch one, that I just received but I might let it stay in the garage for a couple summers so this doesn’t happen again.

What would you guys personally do? Rehandle?

Thanks for your responses.

84d7b1a1733c1e3fce74db01e9c4b8a0.jpg

Howdy all! Hope you are having a blessed Easter Week!

I have a question regarding the practice of re-wedging an axe that had become loose?

I inherited a True American USA Michigan-style axe from my pop, and it’s sat in my Phoenix garage for 5 summers. Don’t know too much about these axes but apparently you can still buy them.

As you might imagine, nearly all of the moisture has been driven out of the wood and the axe head is now a little loose.

The handle looks like it’s in great shape there are no cracks to be found anywhere that I can see.

I have driven in another wedge closer to the front where it seems like it had been a little loose. Now it’s tight. The kerf has seemed to have moved a bit downwards, however. Is this a false sense of security, or is this generally good to go?

I have another handle a 34 inch one, that I just received but I might let it stay in the garage for a couple summers so this doesn’t happen again.

What would you guys personally do? Rehandle?

Thanks for your responses.

84d7b1a1733c1e3fce74db01e9c4b8a0.jpg
why not stand it in water to rehydrate it..................................................................

why not stand it in water to rehydrate it..................................................................

Will that work? Could I use something like boiled linseed oil? I keep this in the garage I’m worried about it happening again. It appears to be varnished hickory.

The last wedge I installed was a DIY wedge, cut from some long-stored pressure treated 2X4.
The wedge wood was so hard it would be tough to drive a nail into,,
anyways, I cut the wedge on a bandsaw, then I put Gorilla Glue in the handle slot, and, per instructions, I wet the wedge with water.

I drove the wedge into the handle, then as expected, over some time, the Gorilla Glue expanded like insulating foam.

Two days later, I cut off the little excess wood sticking out of the axe head.
That little piece of handle/wedge was glued together like CRAZY,, it is an amazingly strong joint.
I can not imagine that handle ever becoming loose,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Wood expands and contracts I'm most places. In AZ, maybe it just contracts. As long as the head is tight, you should be fine. I lot of us have used handled tools a little loose. Nothing to worry about, since yours is tight now.

BTW, the way to snug up a loose handle is to hold it head up, and tap the end of the handle on the ground. If the handle is really loose, then adding a wedge is acceptable. Old timers cut off the tip of an axe handle halfway up the angle so there is a flat at the end of the handle, perpendicular to the centerline of the handle. This keeps the handle from splitting when you tap it to tighten the head. Mall handles are often wrapped with several layers of friction tape right at the end. This serves a couple purposes, at least. Anyone wanna guess what they are?

Always position your wood and axe or maul (hammer) (and other people) so that if the head flies off it won't hurt anyone. It is rare, but it has been known to happen.

I used engine coolant (Ethylene glycol), I stand the axe (head down) in a container of the stuff overnight, it doesn't evaporate and my axe head is still tight months later.
Hadn't heard that one - going to have to try it (had an axe head come off somewhere above my head once - I have a bit of an interest in not experiencing that again... )

I used engine coolant (Ethylene glycol), I stand the axe (head down) in a container of the stuff overnight, it doesn't evaporate and my axe head is still tight months later.
Don't let dogs or cats near an open container of ethylene glycol - it taste sweet and can kill them

Hadn't heard that one - going to have to try it (had an axe head come off somewhere above my head once - I have a bit of an interest in not experiencing that again... )
It's a variation of the water treatment but it doesn't evaporate like water does.

Latest posts

Back