Ready For Winter! 5+ cords with a X27 & Husky 142

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LFEngineering

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
It's been a long summer & and a lot of hard work, but I can finally say "I'm ready winter". 5+ cords all cut with my modified Husqvarna 142 and split with my X27.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Lookin good congratulations you are ready. It feels good to grab a lawn chair and kick your feet up and enjoy a beer while lookin over your accomplishment. :)

No way!! Not possible!! You're tryin' to pull one over on us!!

I've been a member of AS for near on three years now... and these guys have hammered into me...
It's impossible to make firewood without at least three saws (one of which has to be 90cc or larger), a power splitter (inertia type is best, but a hydraulic is OK as long as it has 5-inch cylinder and log lift), a 3/4 or (better yet) 1-ton 4x4 pickup with 16-foot dump trailer, a wood shed at least as big as a double-wide trailer house, and a skid loader to move it all around with.

Nice work by-the-way.

Oooooppps, sorry... I've been a member of AS for near on two years now...

Last edited:
It very well could be more then 5 cords. That's just where I stopped estimating. :msp_tongue:

Very nice! Great to see a small saw do it all and lead us back to that brutal area called "reality"!

Cool beans man! I am impressed with the little huskies, they seem to really want to cut above their "class".

Obviously you have not spent enough time on this site as the words "ready for winter" or "enough fire wood" would never be uttered by any sensible member of this site!! You need more work on your FAD and need to develop a good case of CAD, as well, not to mention some big, famdanged wooptido woodsplitter!! I can't believe you can live like that!!:hmm3grin2orange: Just saying.........Oh, and nice job!

LFE nice work on the wood stack.. nice to see a guy use a saw for what it can do.. just get another of its size for when ya wear that one out. No need for a big one as you have proven.. Never mind these wood whores errrr Wood snobs.. with CAD.. :hmm3grin2orange: Enjoy that wood.. OHhh.. if ya have time.. do a little more and get ahead of next year..

Most on here wouldn't even admit to owning a 142 and here you are doing actual work with one, amazing.

Thanks for the recognition. My friends & wife think I'm nuts. Then again they don't complain when the house is 70 all winter.

Looks great!!!

Something about your whole setup there that I really like.

Good job!!

Souped up husk's hold their own, LFE is one member that spends coin wisely, takes care of tools, plans ahead and probably drinks some high class hooch with the savings.

But....where's the pictures of next years stack????hmmmmm? Remember the woodburners creed; this season ready, next season greying, the one after that just in case she gives me something else to concentrate on.

Last edited:
It's been a long summer & and a lot of hard work, but I can finally say "I'm ready winter". 5+ cords all cut with my modified Husqvarna 142 and split with my X27.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Looks good. I see some big pieces in there. How big is the stove?

I also notice your in MA. I'm praying for some fridgid weather in the East. I got 5 cords myself.

Most on here wouldn't even admit to owning a 142 and here you are doing actual work with one, amazing.
I'll gladly admit I have one - that little saw is a hoot with the muffler opened up and a MicroLite bar, and it's quite light and well balanced. Amazing how well it pulls for 40cc. I don't doubt it can do that for many years.

I've got a loop of WoodlandPro chain for it on the way from Bailey's, and I'll be interested to see how it compares to the Oregon 90SG that I ground the bumpers off of.

I like it... goes to show it ain't the equipment and tools... rather it's the man that gets the work done.

On Halloween morning of 2010 I started burning wood for heat again, after a several year hiatus... I didn't have a single stick of firewood that morning. I spent most every weekend that cold/snowy winter of 2010/2011 cutting standing-dead elm to keep the fire going (heated 100% with wood)... don't know exactly how much I cut, split and burned, but I'll estimate it at around 10 cord, maybe 12. When the snow started melting that spring I started cutting, splitting and stacking up oak, some big oak over 30-inches... worked through June and took the summer off. Then last September I started cutting more standing-dead and filled the old coal room in the basement with around 7 cord... figuring I'd get into the oak 'round January, which never happened because of the mild winter (but I did harvest another cord or two of standing-dead in late January). This last February I started cuttin' more big oak, a big Sugar Maple, and a bit of ash... it got hot early this year, so I'm still working on the splittin' during cool mornings, and have maybe 2/3 cord left to split.

Anyway, right now I have somewhere near 16 cord of oak stacked, 3 cord Sugar Maple and one cord ash. Add in all the standing-dead elm burned, plus wood that gets cut specifically for the fire pit, and I've put up something well over 40 cord in the last 20 months (and I don't work it during the high heat of summer). By this months end I'll be cuttin' more standing-dead for the early part of the heating season.

So what's my point??
Well a lot like you, I've done it all by my lonesome, with a single 50cc saw (I do have a hydraulic splitter).
Guys like you and I are proof that it ain't the equipment and tools... rather it's the man that gets the work done.

Latest posts

Back