Real life splitter wedge

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

milkie62

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Been reading a lot here and looking at a lot of splitters. I built my splitter back in 1990 and except for dropping a heavy chunk on a hose and causing a leak, it has performed flawlessly for all these years. It probably splits about 15-20 cord a season. The only issues are it is too low to the ground and I want a log lift and adjustable wedge. Having been to Woodsman days in Boonville many times I have been taking notes on my next build. Wish some of the demos had crotchy wood for comparison. My splitter with a 4" cylinder will only split 4 way in straight grained wood. With just the vertical split it is unstoppable. I am going to use a 5 x30 cylinder for my next build. How are these manufacturers getting 6 and 8 way splits ? Even some are 10 way. Thin wedges seem to work better then my wide split. And how far back should the wings be from the main vertical ? I had talked to the built rite guys and they said they had their big piston custom cylinders spec'd out and they are not available for purchase. Do all splitters slow right down in crotchy, knotty wood ?

Not sure if you saw my posts about failed 4way wedges, but concensus on here seemed be that you should just throw crotchy knotty wood away and only split perfect straight grain saw logs. Reading the wood (like reading tea leaves?) is also very important for a splitter, but not for a processor .

Good luck.

Looking forward to responses.

W

I run a 6 way wedge... well.. was. I broke 2 wings off and it's now a 4 way. Need to reweld, but want to redesign it a bit.

Yes, thin and sharp. Mine will split a block sideways nearly as easy as with the grain.

I run a 6 way wedge... well.. was. I broke 2 wings off and it's now a 4 way. Need to reweld, but want to redesign it a bit.

Yes, thin and sharp. Mine will split a block sideways nearly as easy as with the grain.

Agreed. thin and sharp seems to slice through as opposed to ripping through. I get some funky shaped splits from the 6-way, but seems to be holding up so far...

Not sure if you saw my posts about failed 4way wedges, but concensus on here seemed be that you should just throw crotchy knotty wood away and only split perfect straight grain saw logs. Reading the wood (like reading tea leaves?) is also very important for a splitter, but not for a processor .

Good luck.

W

You're correct about reading the wood, the biggest issue I have with crotches is keeping them on the splitter. Although, if it's over 2' diameter I usually just rip it with a saw, just don't see it worth breaking another wedge or dealing with the safety of it sometimes. Crotches and chunks burn damn good, but they often don't produce an ideal sized piece of firewood. If you have a large stove(5 c.f. +) they're rarely a threat.:D

Good luck.

W

No I think you mis-read some of those posts. You need to know your equipment as well as pay attention to what you split. If you are using a TW-6 your going to get away with much more compared to a 25t DHT with 4 way. You might end up single wedging the crotchy split with the DHT. I don't throw wood away I use it all but I'm not pushing through a sugar maple burl with my DHT 4 way.

I worked with an old guy(Vern) that ran a twin engine scraper for 3 months when it had a bad oil leak. The company couldn't afford to shut it down so Vern checked oil on it 3 times a day. Vern went on a 10 day fishing trip and one of the younger fellas had to run that scraper. Vern showed that young fella multiple times what to do, when to do it, etc. It took the kid 2 days to start the rear engine on fire because he just ran and ran and ran. Wasn't paying attention to the equipment.

Know your equipment. Know what it is supposed to do. What the limits are.

No I think you mis-read some of those posts. You need to know your equipment as well as pay attention to what you split. If you are using a TW-6 your going to get away with much more compared to a 25t DHT with 4 way. You might end up single wedging the crotchy split with the DHT. I don't throw wood away I use it all but I'm not pushing through a sugar maple burl with my DHT 4 way.

I worked with an old guy(Vern) that ran a twin engine scraper for 3 months when it had a bad oil leak. The company couldn't afford to shut it down so Vern checked oil on it 3 times a day. Vern went on a 10 day fishing trip and one of the younger fellas had to run that scraper. Vern showed that young fella multiple times what to do, when to do it, etc. It took the kid 2 days to start the rear engine on fire because he just ran and ran and ran. Wasn't paying attention to the equipment.

Know your equipment. Know what it is supposed to do. What the limits are.

Advertised to produce 28 tons of splitting force. With 1-way wedge system it produced 33.83 tons without the protection of the hydraulic bypass valve because of a simple engineering deficiency and things failed. I don't see how the Vern story is relevant. They were not using the scraper as designed and it failed. I was using my splitter AS DESIGNED and it failed. End of story.

There were many posts about just putting the crotchy wood on the burn pile or throwing it away, not worth the time, etc. Actually, mine failed many times with the straight wedge system. Sorry, I must have missed the part in the manual that says 'our stuff is junk so only split straight grain saw logs with the single wedge or the 4-way'. Can you show me that part of the manual?

And since you brought it up, they still are not being honest with customers and have not updated the website as they promised to do. Here's the text: (I really love the last line "ALL"- not just just straight grain softwood)

From their own website. No mention of only being able to use the 4-way in straight grain softwood.

"The Dirty Hand Tools 4-Way wedge speeds up your firewood processing job by allowing you to split a log into four pieces with a single stroke. This wedge replaces the stock wedge on your Dirty Hand Tools 22, 27, 28 or 35 ton log splitter (part numbers 100408, 100342, 100450, 100466) and installs in minutes. Once the 4-way system is installed, you can easily switch from 2-way to 4-way splitting. The kit includes an adjustable 2/4-way wedge, stripper plates and all necessary hardware for installation. Also features a high quality sharpenable steel wedge and reinforced “boxed” stripper plates to protect hydraulic cylinder. You can trust Dirty Hand Tools for all your outdoor power equipment needs."

Anyway, let's not derail milkie's thread with useless trolling? I'm done with the past. Let it go. Thanks.

W

We'll agree to disagree. That's fine.

Good luck on the wedge @milkie62 Lots of great info on the site and some super bright minds.

Advertised to produce 28 tons of splitting force. With 1-way wedge system it produced 33.83 tons without the protection of the hydraulic bypass valve because of a simple engineering deficiency and things failed. I don't see how the Vern story is relevant. They were not using the scraper as designed and it failed. I was using my splitter AS DESIGNED and it failed. End of story.

There were many posts about just putting the crotchy wood on the burn pile or throwing it away, not worth the time, etc. Actually, mine failed many times with the straight wedge system. Sorry, I must have missed the part in the manual that says 'our stuff is junk so only split straight grain saw logs with the single wedge or the 4-way'. Can you show me that part of the manual?

And since you brought it up, they still are not being honest with customers and have not updated the website as they promised to do. Here's the text: (I really love the last line "ALL"- not just just straight grain softwood)

From their own website. No mention of only being able to use the 4-way in straight grain softwood.

"The Dirty Hand Tools 4-Way wedge speeds up your firewood processing job by allowing you to split a log into four pieces with a single stroke. This wedge replaces the stock wedge on your Dirty Hand Tools 22, 27, 28 or 35 ton log splitter (part numbers 100408, 100342, 100450, 100466) and installs in minutes. Once the 4-way system is installed, you can easily switch from 2-way to 4-way splitting. The kit includes an adjustable 2/4-way wedge, stripper plates and all necessary hardware for installation. Also features a high quality sharpenable steel wedge and reinforced “boxed” stripper plates to protect hydraulic cylinder. You can trust Dirty Hand Tools for all your outdoor power equipment needs."

Anyway, let's not derail milkie's thread with useless trolling? I'm done with the past. Let it go. Thanks.

W

Oh God, here we go again! This guy just won't give up and admit he abused the product AND the company!

Now I held a gun to their head and forced them to send stuff?????? They asked me to test their crap. I tested it. It failed the test. Severe design defiencies which no one will dispute. End of story.

Now It'd be great if you could stop trolling Milkie's thread.

@milkie62 I guess the take away here is "don't make a wedge system like the one referenced above if you split anything but straight grain softwood."

W

Same group of usernames that trolled my threads...sorry Milkie. They just can't help themselves.

Post 2- I was just saying that when I posted about trying to split challenging wood, everyone said I was abusing my machine, wasting my time, etc. I was just trying to give Milkie a warning about the "I split only straight grain saw-log" mentality here. No one is willing to take on tough wood or expect their machine to be up to the task.

W

Been reading a lot here and looking at a lot of splitters. I built my splitter back in 1990 and except for dropping a heavy chunk on a hose and causing a leak, it has performed flawlessly for all these years. It probably splits about 15-20 cord a season. The only issues are it is too low to the ground and I want a log lift and adjustable wedge. Having been to Woodsman days in Boonville many times I have been taking notes on my next build. Wish some of the demos had crotchy wood for comparison. My splitter with a 4" cylinder will only split 4 way in straight grained wood. With just the vertical split it is unstoppable. I am going to use a 5 x30 cylinder for my next build. How are these manufacturers getting 6 and 8 way splits ? Even some are 10 way. Thin wedges seem to work better then my wide split. And how far back should the wings be from the main vertical ? I had talked to the built rite guys and they said they had their big piston custom cylinders spec'd out and they are not available for purchase. Do all splitters slow right down in crotchy, knotty wood ?

Cool, a new build. I really respect those with the life experience and ability to work with tools and metal.
Issues: Low to ground; log lift.
Height is a preference. With the SuperSpit I love the counter height, working height of beam and table. With the TW-6 I preferred a lower beam because of the size of the wood. I would suggest an adjustable height beam which could be done with a rotating trailing arm wheel mount, that could accommodate differences in wood and operators if needed.
Log lift: Operating on the log lift side of the machine is also preferable, because when operating alone, that is where the log lift is loaded. Therefore the design should allow room for the operator, and give him room for an exit if a round crowds him for whatever reason. The log lift is also what you will probably use to unstick rounds stuck on the wedge. This is done by setting a three or four inch round on the lift and nudging the side of the stuck round side ways a little. Therefor the log lift should be stout. TW is rated 500 pounds.

Expectation:
This is huge, really huge... for some.
The TW was very easy to stall its 5" x 3.5" x 24" cylinder out, with a 20 hp Honda; 22 gpm pump and 28 ton rating (if you had your head up your butt past the first two turns of the lower colon!). Even on a single wedge... (That being said, there was nothing it really would not split if you read the wood.)
It also pushed monster splits out that rolled to the side and on the ground, just like the Built-Rite splitter demo video shows (What good is that? Looks cool and powerful, but just makes more work for your self picking it all up (if you can lift them) on one side, and running around to the other side to do the same.)
Thus my reference to Cantoo...working smarter in my opinion, and getting the job done.
And also the modification I had done to the TW four-way wing.

I saw a homemade splitter last fall.
You know how most wedge on beam splitters without log lifts, now have a cradle of sorts on each side of the beam. Well this guy did that. Stuck out about a foot and a half from the beam and three feet long, all nested in a bigger table he dumped rounds and huge quarter splits on with the fel on his backhoe. The quarter splits were from a backhoe boom mounted splitter with a 28" knife for big wood. (Tree services dropped off 2' to 5'+ dia. trunks.)
Here is the kicker. He attached them, the cradles, to the push plate. They moved with the push plate past the wedge. The two splits separated and fell onto the moving side plates. As the push plate returned the two halves came with it. The close one he pulled out of the way onto a larger part of the table, the far one he pulled towards him to the beam. He split into a tele handler bucket which he used to pile the wood.
Pictured is his wood pile last fall, half of what he did the year before with his brother. I recently heard he passed, at 76 yrs. old.
In short, I think design and how you work is more important than bigger/badder.IMG_4801.jpg

Lots of pics of my splitters on here. Nothing wrong with store bought and rework it for your needs. I also have pics of my from the ground up 36" splitter with 4 way adjustable wedge. I don't want to think about how much I have invested in it. It works great but I read every piece and if in doubt I drop the 4 way and keep splitting. I could leave the 4way up, force it thru until I break something and then spend the next day fixing it or I could pick my battles and " waste" 22 more seconds and run it thru twice. Also keep in mind I'm splitting ash which is usually an easy splitting wood here. I very seldom use my 4 way on crotch wood, just isn't worth the rewards.
If I were you I would sit down and really think how much time and effort you'll save by building a monster splitter and then look at your whole operation and see where you can get your best gains in time and effort. My next step is to build my rounds trailer/ dump platform. This will save me from physically lifting thousands of lbs by hand. For my 36" owb wood I use my flatbed truck backed up to my splitter table and load it with my loader if I want an easy weekend. Much better to spend time on paper before you fire up a torch or welder.

It works great but I read every piece and if in doubt I drop the 4 way and keep splitting. I could leave the 4way up, force it thru until I break something and then spend the next day fixing it or I could pick my battles and " waste" 22 more seconds and run it thru twice. Also keep in mind I'm splitting ash which is usually an easy splitting wood here. I very seldom use my 4 way on crotch wood, just isn't worth the rewards.

Yup, intelligence goes a long way. That whole risk/reward thing is always worth bringing up. I like that Jurassic Park quote, something along the lines of they were too busy thinking whether or not they could, they should have been thinking of whether or not they should.

Lots of pics of my splitters on here. Nothing wrong with store bought and rework it for your needs. I also have pics of my from the ground up 36" splitter with 4 way adjustable wedge. I don't want to think about how much I have invested in it. It works great but I read every piece and if in doubt I drop the 4 way and keep splitting...Much better to spend time on paper before you fire up a torch or welder.

Sounds like you guys are better engineers than the actual engineers who design splitters (assuming, of course that you not actually splitter engineers).

So if I'm reading this right, you expect your 1-way wedge to split anything you throw at it? Is it thin and sharp or fat?

W

Mine just vertical wedge is definitely tapers to wide really fast. I need to figure out how to post pictures on here and maybe a video of my splitter. I was a machinist apprentice and enjoyed dabbling in fabrication. I am not a welder as of yet but do have a Miller 211 mig, Lincoln 225 AC/DC stick and a Miller 875 plasma cutter. Hey, no big deal that other things have been brought up here and it does help that the input that has been talked about is that there is problems with non-straight grained wood. Since I have an outdoor boiler,no wood is wasted. Just thought that maybe I was not thinking straight(no pun intended) when it comes to splitting non-straight grained wood. I have looked at timberwolf, builtrite,American and have been taking notes .Keep up the input even if it is off topic. Thanks Ed

Latest posts

Back