Really Big and Crappy Takedown, Ideas?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
skidders

I've seen cable type log skidders do amazing stuff with their winches. Stuff like taking a weeping willow with a dbh of over three feet, a height of 60 feet, and lean of 25 degrees pulled 180 degrees opposite the lean. The skidder was a deere 350, not positive of the letter. We climbed the tree with a ladder to 25 or 30' and attached the choker. then cut the notch leaving a heavy hinge, then we reeved the deere up and pulled it over.
If it was my job to get that tree down, i'd take my chokers and go around all of it, maybe where the left lead has that nice branch comming off. When I notched it i'd do a bore cut to see if its hollow. Leave a heavy hinge and pull.... The cable should pull the two leads together before the hinge pivots allowing it to come over nice and tight. Something that might have to be seen firsthand to tell completely.

Is the job done yet?

Cinching the two mains together might snap off the broken one early leading to an un-controlled fall imo. In retrospect, I'd cinch it and drop it, the broken part being guided down by the rest of the weight of the tree. Run like heck, to the nearest cafe.... and have lunch.

:cheers: Actually I was really wonderin' if this job was done yet and are there any pics and stories. :popcorn:

Nope, it's still standing. I am getting a quote on having another tree put on the ground anyway, so I figured I'd see what my tree guy would charge to put this one on the ground. If not, I'll probalby wait and see what the winter does to it and deal with it in the spring. In any case, there will be pics.

you could always slip the demo guys $50 to take care of it with their equipment, assuming they will be using a track hoe or the likes. Of course once that building is down you could just drop it where it stood.

man lift

do you have any experience with a self powered man lift . you use one and take it down bit by bit.:rock:

Back