Reasonable offer for MS660?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bert the turtle

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
A guy is offering an MS660/36 inch bar and chain that he claims cut down one oak tree. From his description of it, I'm thinking it is just too much saw for him. Assuming it really is a 1 tree saw and that one tree didn't involve straight fueling the saw, what would be a reasonable offer?

I would say $700 - $750 would be a good reasonable offer if in fact it only cut one tree and is in really great shape. You don't want to low ball him with a $500 offer and tick him off and you don't want to offer to close to what a new one will run you.

I would say $700 - $750 would be a good reasonable offer if in fact it only cut one tree and is in really great shape. You don't want to low ball him with a $500 offer and tick him off and you don't want to offer to close to what a new one will run you.

i second that.

you can get them for just under 1K here with a 24'' b/c if it was truley new and you were in the market i would say 750 or so sounds about right. i have seen and bought nice used ones for 550-600 (but not almost new).

Thanks guys, that is about where I thought a good offer would be. He is asking $1000, which I thought is crazy.

He's not crazy, he determined. Just had a customer here a week or so ago who bought a like new used 660 with 3 foot bar and chain. He gave 975.00 for it and he was happy. People will cough up some dough for those things..

Thanks guys, that is about where I thought a good offer would be. He is asking $1000, which I thought is crazy.

He would never let it go for that, he would be a fool if he did sell it for $750. If he paid dealer cost, and cut one tree he would still be losing close to $100. Sorry i think you'll have to pay over 900 to actually get that saw.

Would be absolutely insane to pay 900 for a used saw. That's way too close to new price, which will get you a full warranty registered in your name, plus you'll know whose hands have been on the saw and what they've done. Anyone who'd buy a 660 without knowing if they need it wouldn't be someone I'd want running my saws, and I sure wouldn't give new price for their saw.

Does the Stihl warranty transfer to a new owner? I ask because I've never purchased a truly new saw, & I don't know much about Stihl warranties.

I know that Stihl saws generally have good resale value, but IMO paying close to the new price seems out of line for a saw that has been used, even if it's in Like New condition. BWTFDIK :msp_confused:?

Last edited:
It's a used saw, period. It's not worth new saw price, reguardless of condition. If you can't get it for a couple hundred less than new, don't buy it.

200.00 less than new would be 974.95 so 900.00 is right in the ball park. The guy wants a grand for it but offer him 900.00 and he'll probably take it..

Would be absolutely insane to pay 900 for a used saw. That's way too close to new price, which will get you a full warranty registered in your name, plus you'll know whose hands have been on the saw and what they've done. Anyone who'd buy a 660 without knowing if they need it wouldn't be someone I'd want running my saws, and I sure wouldn't give new price for their saw.

Lists 1174.95, used once, whats it worth Space, tell me ole wise one, whats it worth,:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

I won't pay list price either. The last 660 I bought was $995.

Brad, judging from your posts regarding the prices you pay for new Stihl saws, I'd say you get special pricing from your Stihl dealer. Yes?

It's good that your Stihl dealer is willing to reward you for being a regular customer :msp_thumbup:.

When I bought mine, it was only two tanks old. Paid 700 bucks for it and was extremely happy with the deal.
That saw on Ebay would probably bring a grand. I would'nt give more than 900 for it though. The warranty is worth 200 bucks to me. The average man will pay over 1100 bucks for a new 660.

Brad, judging from your posts regarding the prices you pay for new Stihl saws, I'd say you get special pricing from your Stihl dealer. Yes?

It's good that your Stihl dealer is willing to reward you for being a regular customer :msp_thumbup:.

Yes, but I don't think they sell them for list to others. I could very well be wrong though.

Back