Rebuilding a homemade splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had good intentions of going big on the hoses but the tech at the hose shop was pretty insistant larger hoses wern't necessary. He custom measured and built all the hoses and had no issues with all the 90*'s. I asked a couple times and he was very confident the 90s weren't an issue and the 3/4" was plenty large for the job. From the sounds of it, I might have to go back for larger hoses. Wonderful :confused:

I was planning on putting a crane on it with another valve down the road so I suppose I can reuse some of the hoses for that project. I should have stuck to my guns when I had the hoses made. I was convinced it was a waste of money. Shoulda listened to you guys :confused:

I thought I remembered reading somewhere on AS that 1.25" hose would be the Cadillac solution. I’ll price out both options. If 1.25" is over budget then I'll have to reconsider.

I agree... double detent is dangerous but isn't processing wood in general dangerous? As long as your careful and follow your own safety precautions accidents won’t happen.

It's like a gun... A Glock has no external safeties (except a trigger safety). A 1911 has two. Is one more dangerous than the other? No. If both are handled properly and in the hands of someone competent and knowledgeable about firearm safety, neither will ever be 'accidentally discharged'.

There's a third if you count the half-cock setting. It's still an external to the firearm's interface. LOL, sorry I couldn't resist. I could see the handiness of the double spool valve, (ie; the action of a Super Split) BUT, with a hydraulic splitter, if that log gets "wedged" onto the wedge, that could be scary, especially if your hand were to get caught in the piece on the return stroke.

You are correct in the Glock-vs-1911 analogy in the competent, safe operation of either weapon, but you would have an inherently higher risk of injury, operating with a double spool-vs-single. The analogy I'll draw is this: I dropped a loaded 1911 once. (My Father's at the time) It was loaded with the safety off, one up the pipe and the hammer fully seated forward. It was in a shoulder holster (fresh from getting cleaned after a range trip, and I had reloaded it (as he kept it), holstered it (with the rigging wrapped around the holster) and was leaving my Father's workshop to return the weapon to his closet. In hindsight I should have loaded the weapon in the house and/or either engaged the hammer or thumb safeties.

It was about 100F outside and I was sweating profusely. The gun in the aforementioned slipped from hand (smooth leather/loaded weapon/sweaty hands/hammer down with no transfer bar safety + concrete floor = BANG. I knew about safe handling, (though that wasn't the best example thereof) but I got complacent about a task that I had performed identically (save for the sweaty hands) numerous times, and the mishap occurred. No on was injured, but it was a hell of a learning lesson for me. I'm not saying buy the Glock, but, be prepared to live religiously within the operating limitations/safety practices of the Browning (masterpiece) design, should you choose to go that route. I do apologize for the rambling rant, but felt the details important to fully draw the analogy I was setting forth. :greenchainsaw:

My opinion, keep the 3/4" and ditch all the 90's...use 45's if you need something or just a longer 3/4 hose if you look at a chart of restriction you can add a lot of hose to make up the for restriction in all those 90's....

Latest posts

Back