Recoil on small Echo climbing saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Generally, you just fish the starter rope back out of the recoil housing, feed it back through the hole it goes through on the recoil, then put it into the pull handle, and tie a GOOD tight knot to make sure it stays, and make sure you adjust the tension of the rope properly by winding the recol right.

When I meant generally. I meant sometimes something in the housing or pulley is way too wore. If you don't pull the rope all the way to the end ropes generally don't break too often. I have had my ropes last for several years.

The ropes usually break near the pull handle. You can easily feed the rope back thru the hole and retie the handle, but this shortens the pull rope. After a few times, you will need to replace the pull chord. In a pinch one day I had to substitute the pull chord with a boot lace. (gotta work with what you have on hand!) The boot lace lasted for over 2 years of pretty regular use!

If you do decide to keep the saw, just put a new piece of rope on. Once the rope starts to break, it'll happen again right away, so just replace it. Go to the hardware store and take the old cord with you, you want to get the exact same size. Bigger rope will be a problem because the same length won't fit on the recoil, smaller rope will break easily. Look for rope designed for recoils, not cloths line or something.
Four screws hold the recoil cover on, look how the old rope was on and copy. Try to get as long a piece of rope on as will fit on the starter drum. After the rope is completely installed, you need to get recoil tension. Simply grab the rope from the side of the starter drum and get about 6" of slack, just before the rope exits the cover, and spin the starter drum about 7 times around by holding the rope. If you look there is a slot on the starter drum to help the rope fit as you spin it around. This will build tension.
Don't go too many times around, just enough so the handle snaps back and just stands up.
Then reassemble.

Easy to fix, just be careful if you have to pull the starter drum that the string is wound up on that you do not disturb the spring underneath. They can be a bear to rewind. Good luck.

Lawn Masters said:
G and tie a GOOD tight knot to make sure it stays,

A couple of drops of Superglue will make sure it stays. No substitute for a good tight knot, but it adds a nice bit of insurance.

On my echo I also added a washer on the drum side of the knot, but in the handle. The handle is such a soft plastic that my knots would actually pull through the thing. The washer went on the third time that happened in the tree. I also find the kill toggle gets hit by the handle if you have any extra slack in the rope. Good saw for the cost...survived a 40 foot fall out of a tree...put a loop webbing and 'biner afther the First time that happened ;)

Back