Recommendation for Splitter...max 20 cord/yr

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Weesa20

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Hey All- I do a little firewood for the house and sell some on the side. Have been using a Fiskars for the past year but looking at stepping up to a hydraulic splitter (had one growing up and it stills works great- on its 3rd engine I think- 600 miles away tho). Would be doing no more than 20 cord a year- just don't have the room to store more at our house.

Any recs? would love to have a Timberwolf TW5 but just can't justify the money- although the resell might make it less painful. Any recs on other splitters that I should look at?

Thanks.

How much is the actual budget?

Not what you want to spend, but what you will actually be willing to spend. Once that's established, I'm sure a lot of good recommendations will follow.

Take Care

Hey All- I do a little firewood for the house and sell some on the side. Have been using a Fiskars for the past year but looking at stepping up to a hydraulic splitter (had one growing up and it stills works great- on its 3rd engine I think- 600 miles away tho). Would be doing no more than 20 cord a year- just don't have the room to store more at our house.

Any recs? would love to have a Timberwolf TW5 but just can't justify the money- although the resell might make it less painful. Any recs on other splitters that I should look at?

Thanks.
I have a TW-5 with lift and table. Would do exactly the same if I were to do it again. I do about the same amount of wood as you do. I try to purchase quality equipment, take good care of it and never have any issues getting a fair price when time to sell. I had a Iron and Oak before the TW-5. Great splitter but does not compare to the Timberwolf. Price does not either.

need to know what your source wood looks like and who much you have in the way of "other" tools for the operation. Do you have a Tractor/loader or use of any other toys ?
saws? Ect. electric power at the splitting site. Will you be splitting alone. Is the firewood knotty nasties ot peckerpoles ?
any means to move the splitter about the yard or will the splitter be "permanently" placed.

i scrounge so I try to be selective but sometimes have to take what I can get. 20 cord would be the most ever...I have been splitting with a Fiskars x25 so any splitter will probably be a step up. Not too many places even sell splitters around here other than TSC/Northern/HD/Lowes. I have a SCUT tractor (massey GC2300) with a FEL so I can pickup just about any wood that I'd want to split...if I have uglies that I can't split, the 441R comes out and I get to clean up noodles.

i scrounge so I try to be selective but sometimes have to take what I can get. 20 cord would be the most ever...I have been splitting with a Fiskars x25 so any splitter will probably be a step up. Not too many places even sell splitters around here other than TSC/Northern/HD/Lowes. I have a SCUT tractor (massey GC2300) with a FEL so I can pickup just about any wood that I'd want to split...if I have uglies that I can't split, the 441R comes out and I get to clean up noodles.

That's what I am doing now. Even on sale or used, gas splitters are too high for me. I *might* later on get an electric and just use it for nasties. Mostly though, I can either split them or just noodle, noodling is easy enough and it is sorta fun. Our heater can take some big chunks, so with all the smalls I cut, I get it covered one way or the other.

Never anything worth buying on CL either...almost got one at a estate sale but it sold to the guy two places in line ahead of me :( . Everything else is 90% of what a new one costs.

well, I got fed up looking for one and not hearing back from dealers so I just went to Lowes and got a DHT 22 ton. Put a cord through it so far today and like it so far. Couple issues: Lowes is selling it for $999 without the table- and doesn't have the table available- it really shouldn't be sold without the table b/c the hydro fluid vent and engine is totally exposed and got hit a couple times already- wood has fallen and hit the tire and bounced pretty far as well, making a dangerous situation- not that it would have killed anyone but someone could have gotten it in the shin (read: my wife almost got hit in the shin and would have been P!$$ED!) Also the lines on the operator side are pretty exposed- the return line has caught a couple splits already. I wouldn't have minded paying more for the table or a protector but Lowes didn't even have the split table. Last- the end plate is too thick- really hard to get a 30" oak round on it in the vertical position and then it was at an angle so only the end of the wedge caught the round- gonna fab up a platform so I can more easily slide the round under the wedge in the vertical position.

So I'll order or fab up a table and build my little platform and it will be good to go!

So here is my first stab at a little platform. Just some scrap MDF, 2x6, plywood strips I had laying around. Surface is slightly higher than the grippers on the endplate.

well, I got fed up looking for one and not hearing back from dealers so I just went to Lowes and got a DHT 22 ton. Put a cord through it so far today and like it so far. Couple issues: Lowes is selling it for $999 without the table- and doesn't have the table available- it really shouldn't be sold without the table b/c the hydro fluid vent and engine is totally exposed and got hit a couple times already- wood has fallen and hit the tire and bounced pretty far as well, making a dangerous situation- not that it would have killed anyone but someone could have gotten it in the shin (read: my wife almost got hit in the shin and would have been P!$$ED!) Also the lines on the operator side are pretty exposed- the return line has caught a couple splits already. I wouldn't have minded paying more for the table or a protector but Lowes didn't even have the split table. Last- the end plate is too thick- really hard to get a 30" oak round on it in the vertical position and then it was at an angle so only the end of the wedge caught the round- gonna fab up a platform so I can more easily slide the round under the wedge in the vertical position.

So I'll order or fab up a table and build my little platform and it will be good to go!

Good luck with the new splitter. Put enough wood down for a few years and sell a little on the side. Put a little cash away and get something bigger/better/ faster when you find out what that is . If you fall in love with the one you have...well then all the better !!!!

Anyone have a DR Rapidfire? Seems it's the same as the supersplitter but they have a cheaper 22ton option for $1199 and free shipping

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back