Recommendationes from the pro's please

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nick Clayton

Reaction score
I'm shopping for a new saw and believe either the Stihl MS361/362 or Husqvarna 357XP fit the bill for me. I've spoken with my local dealer, he sells both, who said I couldn't go wrong either way. He is out of MS361, but there is a second dealer down the street that has two in stock if I went that way.

What are the opinions of folks who use these saws regularly? Thanks for your help.

i have a 357 and a 361. i would choose the 361, but not by a huge margin. the power is the same, but the 361 is lighter and smoother. i don't know about the 362. i hear raves about it, but i also hear that it is not really worth the extra money. for me the extra .2hp and and less vibrations of the 362 don't offset the extra cost and extra weight. but then again, i am only going by what i read and the numbers i see published.

362 or 359

IMHO, if you go with the Stihl, go with the 362, it's a better saw and don't believe the weight difference. If you go with the Husky, I'd consider the 359, virtually the same saw as the 357. but at a substantial savings.... BTW, welcome to the site, remember, any of those 4 will serve you well. (stick around herel long enough, you may end up with one of each lol)

I have a 361 and think it's a great saw. but, you may want to get the 346xp. don't let the size fool ya. the saw cuts like a raped ape. and if you mod the muff. it most likely will out perform both those saw's. and you should save about $100.00.. if you go that route, ask them to switch the chain for a stihl full chisel.. I got the 18" bar. but get whatever suits you.

I can't comment on the Husky, since I have never run one. I do love my 361. The guys here that have bought the new 362 like them, but I'm with Murph, the 361 is less money/weight and a proven saw.

RD

a note on weight of the 362. Regardless of what the numbers say, both saws with full tanks and 20" bars are indistinguishable when it comes to weight. I know this isn't a scientific way of testing it but when Andyshine77 bought his, I went over with my 361. (which is my personal favorite saw that I own) With our eyes closed, and a saw in each hand, we could not tell which one was which.... After you run them both back to back, you'll notice the 362 vibes less (not that the 361 is bad, it's GREAT!) and sips a lot less fuel. In stock form, the 362 is noticeably tourquier.

I've owned a 361 and it is my opinion that it is the best "power to weight" ratio saw that Stihl makes. Since I'm not familiar with the husky saws, I yeild my time to those guys. If I had the spare cash I'd buy another 361 in a "new york" minute. Happy Sawing!:)

I'm shopping for a new saw and believe either the Stihl MS361/362 or Husqvarna 357XP fit the bill for me. I've spoken with my local dealer, he sells both, who said I couldn't go wrong either way. He is out of MS361, but there is a second dealer down the street that has two in stock if I went that way.

What are the opinions of folks who use these saws regularly? Thanks for your help.

That is going to be a hard choice. I've have a 361 but would love to try a 362, many positive remarks about that saw here. I would not worry about the slight weight difference or the $$$. Is $70-80 really a deal breaker when spending $600? All the stratos from Stihl have been awesome preformers, the 362 included. I'd go with the 362 and get a 20"-25" b&c.

I've owned a 361 and it is my opinion that it is the best "power to weight" ratio saw that Stihl makes. Since I'm not familiar with the husky saws, I yeild my time to those guys. If I had the spare cash I'd buy another 361 in a "new york" minute. Happy Sawing!:)
Per specs the
361 is 4.4hp 12.3lb = 0.36 hp/lb
460 is 6hp 14.6lb = 0.41 hp/lb
660 is 7hp 16.5lb = 0.42 hp/lb
880 is 8.6hp 22.3lb = 0.39 hp/lb

I've run the Jred 2156 (Husky's counterpart) for a few years now and it'll cut about even with a 361. Power wise it's the same, go handle them, see which one you like better.

I think the 361/362 is a saw that cant be beat. i have ran a few 359s and was not impressed at all they seemed so slow and had no torque. My dad has a 346XP which i ran a few times and liked but i just dont see how it can be compared to a 361. I guess i need to grab his 346 some weekend and see if i can figure out why people rave about them.

Latest posts

Back