Recommended treatments for stressed Pin Oak?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmanikowski

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have a ~70 foot tall mature Pin Oak in my front yard that is moderately to significantly stressed and chlorotic and I'm trying to cost-effectively save this tree. Aside from proper pruning and nutrient and pH recommendations from a soil sample analysis, would anyone recommend a Cambistat/Paclobutrazol treatment?

Also, a local arborist said he might recommend an iron injection, pending the results of the soil analysis, though when I received the analysis, there was no indication of iron levels. How would I know if I need an iron injection?

Lastly, I'm currently awaiting the results of a petiole analysis to determine if this tree is diseased in any way. Are there any other analyses that one might suggest paying for to help determine the health of the tree?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

"I have a ~70 foot tall mature Pin Oak in my front yard that is moderately to significantly stressed and chlorotic and I'm trying to cost-effectively save this tree. Aside from proper pruning and nutrient and pH recommendations from a soil sample analysis, would anyone recommend a Cambistat/Paclobutrazol treatment?"

not without more info like a picture. pruning comes after soil treatment, unless there is a huge dead limb ready to fall.

"Also, a local arborist said he might recommend an iron injection, pending the results of the soil analysis, though when I received the analysis, there was no indication of iron levels. How would I know if I need an iron injection?"

the worse the pH, the longer it will take to get acidity right, so the longer that it cannot metabolize iron well, the more it needs iron another way.

"Lastly, I'm currently awaiting the results of a petiole analysis to determine if this tree is diseased in any way. Are there any other analyses that one might suggest paying for to help determine the health of the tree?"

Petiole analysis, wow, never heard of that, but I am not an expert on those tests. could be a waste until pH improves--wait a year or two? Put your money into fixing the soil asap. Make SURE they will incorporate deeply enough--workers with the company with yellow trucks elsewhere does not seem to understand this need.

Thanks in advance for your replies.[/QUOTE]

@ treeseer

Attached below is a picture of the tree taken 3 months ago, when I moved to this property. I don't know easy it is to tell, but there were a bunch of epicormic branches sprouting from the trunk. There are about 6 big dead limbs that need to come out, which is why I mentioned the pruning in my previous post. If there are pictures of specific parts of the tree that would be better, please let me know.

A recent analysis of the soil around this tree said the pH was too acidic at 4.8. So based on this, would I need the iron injection?

The petiole analysis is free through my local extension, though it takes awhile to get the results back and I think they only test for a couple of the most common diseases. I'm in the process of trying to correct the soil chemistry, though I'm unsure what you mean by making sure they incorporate deepy enough. Is this something I can do myself, or would I need to hire a company?

I have a ~70 foot tall mature Pin Oak in my front yard that is moderately to significantly stressed and chlorotic and I'm trying to cost-effectively save this tree. Aside from proper pruning and nutrient and pH recommendations from a soil sample analysis, would anyone recommend a Cambistat/Paclobutrazol treatment?

Also, a local arborist said he might recommend an iron injection, pending the results of the soil analysis, though when I received the analysis, there was no indication of iron levels. How would I know if I need an iron injection?

Lastly, I'm currently awaiting the results of a petiole analysis to determine if this tree is diseased in any way. Are there any other analyses that one might suggest paying for to help determine the health of the tree?

The tree is beat just like all the red and pin oaks in the tri-state area , they are dying faster than ever and just know that any money you spend to save it may be in vein , if you contact your local extension office of RUTGERS or DEL-VAL you will see that the leaf scorch is wiping them all out ...

@ treeclimber and Rftreeman

I don't think this tree is ready to be dropped quite yet. Though there are some signs associated with leaf scorch, there doesn't seem to be die back/necrosis on the leaves themselves. Also there is another Pin Oak right next to this one that doesn't appear to be stressed at all. Based on this, I am hoping that the stresses on this tree arise from poor soil conditions and not leaf scorch or some other disease.

I've brought quite a few red oaks and pin oaks back from the brink by following Howard Garrett's Sick Tree Treatment:
http://www.dirtdoctor.com/view_question.php?id=130

I live in a different part of the country - with some different stresses on trees, but once I started heavily mulching, aerating, and adding the mineral rock powders regularly, the problems mostly went away. It's labor intensive, but won't cost much to try --- and I'd surely start a per-emptive treatment on the other pin oak.

xtm

@ treeclimber and Rftreeman

I don't think this tree is ready to be dropped quite yet. Though there are some signs associated with leaf scorch, there doesn't seem to be die back/necrosis on the leaves themselves. Also there is another Pin Oak right next to this one that doesn't appear to be stressed at all. Based on this, I am hoping that the stresses on this tree arise from poor soil conditions and not leaf scorch or some other disease.

Leave scorch doesn't effect all oaks it is selective I have removed trees for HO's where they may be more than 20 trees of the same species and 3 or 4 have died related to drought and disease , trees are not all genectically the same and some are healthier than others growing in the same soil and receiving equal water , the soil issue is such that unless something recent (within 5 years ) has been done or altered that should have no effect on a tree .. Changing grade or installing a driveway or some sort of root damage can affect them but it takes time ...

Oak tree strerssed

i have a ~70 foot tall mature pin oak in my front yard that is moderately to significantly stressed and chlorotic and i'm trying to cost-effectively save this tree. Aside from proper pruning and nutrient and ph recommendations from a soil sample analysis, would anyone recommend a cambistat/paclobutrazol treatment?

Also, a local arborist said he might recommend an iron injection, pending the results of the soil analysis, though when i received the analysis, there was no indication of iron levels. How would i know if i need an iron injection?

Lastly, i'm currently awaiting the results of a petiole analysis to determine if this tree is diseased in any way. Are there any other analyses that one might suggest paying for to help determine the health of the tree?

no hope you can cut it down for the firewood

We get environmental leaf scorch around here all the time - usually caused by drought and heat, but sometimes by over-fertilization and improper use of broad-leaf weedkillers around trees. (I generally have to run my neighbor's lawn service nincompoops away when their weedkillers start to get broadcast under my trees along the property line. They tell me it won't hurt anything - and I tell them it might, so beat it!)

I just looked up bacterial leaf scorch:
http://www.ppdl.org/dd/id/bacterial_leaf_scorch-oak.html

Since you don't know for sure whether it is bacterial or envirinmental, It seems to me like it would be worth it to try anything reasonable to save that fine tree. It's doing no harm where it is and you've got plenty of room to do some remediation and plant another tree in the meantime.

Amazing how some folks can ID a hopeless situation from that one photo you provided..... :rolleyes:

xtm

We get environmental leaf scorch around here all the time - usually caused by drought and heat, but sometimes by over-fertilization and improper use of broad-leaf weedkillers around trees. (I generally have to run my neighbor's lawn service nincompoops away when their weedkillers start to get broadcast under my trees along the property line. They tell me it won't hurt anything - and I tell them it might, so beat it!)

I just looked up bacterial leaf scorch:
http://www.ppdl.org/dd/id/bacterial_leaf_scorch-oak.html

Since you don't know for sure whether it is bacterial or envirinmental, It seems to me like it would be worth it to try anything reasonable to save that fine tree. It's doing no harm where it is and you've got plenty of room to do some remediation and plant another tree in the meantime.

Amazing how some folks can ID a hopeless situation from that one photo you provided..... :rolleyes:

xtm

I don't need a pic its the same tree thats dying on every other property here ,all the same symptoms and almost all the same outcome , and a stately tree like that doesn't just die and there has been no major construction or grade change I am gonna "GO OUT ON A LIMB " here and say its was it is ...

I don't need a pic its the same tree thats dying on every other property here ,all the same symptoms and almost all the same outcome , and a stately tree like that doesn't just die and there has been no major construction or grade change I am gonna "GO OUT ON A LIMB " here and say its was it is ...

But was it is may not be what it was or what it will be, and was it really it or was it that or is it these or will it be those?

:confused:

That limb is gonna break on ya dude, better tie in twice and set the saw down a spell, look harder and farther before :censored: judging, 'i don't need a pic", cmon now man think about it!

:newbie:

But was it is may not be what it was or what it will be, and was it really it or was it that or is it these or will it be those?

:confused:

That limb is gonna break on ya dude, better tie in twice and set the saw down a spell, look harder and farther before :censored: judging, 'i don't need a pic", cmon now man think about it!

:newbie:

Your right but I am that sure .... I may be new to the site but not new to trees , I grew up in a nursery , a shade tree nursery not a mum field so what I may lack in personality I make up with in common knowledge .... But I may be wrong its been known to happen .. lol

Latest posts

Back