Red neck case splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks to be cast steel or Iron c clamp
Welds won't look good unless you grind 75%of the weld off and lay a new bead over it
You did good for what it is

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

here's my latest design. i'm going to make another for my next project that uses a steering wheel puller and will be nearly universal.

upload_2016-8-8_9-2-57.png

the metal is 1/2"x1" steel and didn't flex at all. no welding is required. the 1/2" nuts are used only as spacers. materials were less than $20 and i had enough left over fo make a couple more.

Looks to be cast steel or Iron c clamp
Welds won't look good unless you grind 75%of the weld off and lay a new bead over it
You did good for what it is

this is just not true. cast steel will weld just like any other hot or cold rolled steel. cast iron is another story unless you have proper filler
/process/technique. And no, I'm not a backyard barnhouse Welder, I do it for a living.

-scott

Me too
And we had some cast steel that has contained nickel stainless iron and zincanneal
So welds were not passing testing

that sounds like the exception, not the rule. sounds like base metal issues not welding issues. the rule would be that cast steel welds fine first go round, not that you'd have to weld it, grind it and then weld it again.

-scott

I thought I was the only one I made two very similar to your c clamp nice work

Back