Red Oak Milled today CSM

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Superlite

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Some nice Red oak from today....
enjoy

IMG_0115.jpg

IMG_0128.jpg

IMG_0103.jpg

IMG_0125.jpg

IMG_0126.jpg

IMG_0123.jpg

IMG_0107.jpg

IMG_0117.jpg

Last edited:
Very nice. What chain are you using and what power heads are those? 090?

yea they are 090 the chain is .404 round chisel, running the chain loose.

Last edited:
yea they are 090 the chain is 3/8th round chisel, running the chain loose.

Is it a ripping chain? I use the Woodsman chain but I haven't had much luck getting as smooth of a surface as that. Maybe it's because all I have to rip here is soft wood?

SWEET!!! That double powerhead set-up musta tore right through that oak log. Thanks for sharing the pics.

Yup Yup.... that's a lot of power there. How wide was the widest board? I like the way it looks almost striped.

Ian

Is it a ripping chain? I use the Woodsman chain but I haven't had much luck getting as smooth of a surface as that. Maybe it's because all I have to rip here is soft wood?

IT IS .404 OREGON non skiptooth round chisel, I was talking to my brother about getting 088's with 3/8 sprockets installed, Anyway It is Oregon chain, I needed to get a new chain today but he didn't have square chisel so I got this round chisel stuff that cuts really nice. I cut some willow recently with my regular skip tooth chain and it was pretty smooth. the sharper the smoother, also i like to run a fairly loose chain, it keeps the kerf smaller and smoother in my opinion, but what work for me may not for others.

The 2 090's work awesome tons of power good speed too, those two saws have cut Tens of Thousands of feet for us and man do they eat wood, that log was almost 12 feet by 40 inches at the widest, I didn't time it but I don't think a cut took any more than 5 minutes. Tomorrow we are going to cut the log behind the slab standing on its side, I expect it to look even better.

I just stumbled onto this site recently, nice to see lots of people out there milling their own wood, I will definitely be posting more.

John

Last edited:
Whew....nice log, nice mill and the canoe is NICE!

Built one once and it was 4 times the work of any of the Kayaks I made.

nice picks 088 run 404 chain tom trees

they do run that stock but you can get a 3/8 drive sprocket installed so you get a smaller kerf, faster RPM than an 090 but not as much power so the 3/8 could work better, it is just an idea I have been pushing around as 090 parts become more rare and expensive ...

john

Last edited:
You have some beautiful grain going on there Superlite.

Always wondered about double power heads. Have you had any problems with them being out of sink?

I have been very disapointed with the 088 we have at work. It has a 42" bar and .404 chain. I buried the bar in a cottonwood stump and the saw just could not keep the chain moving. I fought it for a while tring to keep the rpm's up. I gave up and got out the 066 with a 32" bar, buried it and even put some pressure on it. The 066 never had any problems. Both chains were very sharp (088's was new) and the power heads are both tuned properly and getting plenty of oil to the bar. I would stay with the 090's as long as you can. Maybe a 7 thooth sprocket and 3/8 would be a better bet for the 088.

Wow, beautiful oak. Neat set up you have. What angles are you filing at to get such a smooth cut? Grinder or by hand?
RD

I had said it is 3/8 but it is actually 1/4, .25" on my 090's for some reason I had 3/8 on the brain, I was talking to my brother about getting 088's with 3/8 sprockets installed, Anyway It is Oregon chain, I needed to get a new chain today but he didn't have square chisel so I got this round chisel stuff that cuts really nice. I cut some willow recently with my regular skip tooth chain and it was pretty smooth. the sharper the smoother, also i like to run a fairly loose chain, it keeps the kerf smaller and smoother in my opinion, but what work for me may not for others.

The 2 090's work awesome tons of power good speed too, those two saws have cut Tens of Thousands of feet for us and man do they eat wood, that log was almost 12 feet by 40 inches at the widest, I didn't time it but I don't think a cut took any more than 5 minutes. Tomorrow we are going to cut the log behind the slab standing on its side, I expect it to look even better.

I just stumbled onto this site recently, nice to see lots of people out there milling their own wood, I will definitely be posting more.

John

WOW!! You have a real man's CSM setup there. I have major chainsaw envy right now.

In regards to your chain gauge setup, I think that there are sprockets available for "racing" i.e. timed cuts that use 10 or 11 pin 1/4" sprockets, to get more chain speed up. I don't know how many links per rpm you're spinning now. It might be something to think about instead of changing out the sprockets for 3/8". If you do, there are people on here that use .325 chain and 9-10pin sprockets.

Where abouts in SE PA are you?? I'm in the Adams Co. area once a month, and would love to see your mill in action sometime.

yea sorry I was thinking about too many chains and saws when I was writing yesterday and confused my numbers. The chain I was running was .404
Sorry for the confusion I will fix my earlier post.

ok just checking,i thought i'm going to have to do something different with mine,i'm running .404 on a 090, like to try .325 but they say it will break.

ok just checking,i thought i'm going to have to do something different with mine,i'm running .404 on a 090, like to try .325 but they say it will break.

yea just about anything will break under the right conditions, I was cutting another section of the same tree the 12 feet above the stuff I cut yesterday and broke the .404, it was the chain I used yesterday, changed and couldn't get the same smooth cut so we cannned it until tomorrow. I think if I was to use a thin chain on a powerful saw I would be careful of forcing the cut or putting too much pressure on the cut.
I will have some good shots tomorrow of this next section from the one cut we got out of it today it is going to look awesome.

Back