Red Oak score!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dave_dj1

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I finally had the time to get out some Red Oak that had blown down a few years back, I ended up with a couple of cords maybe more. It was good to get out! This stuff is HEAVY, thank god for my grapple on the Kubota.
T2FNXFPl.jpg

For reference those wooden sides are 5.5" tall
RnUsqMdl.jpg

I finally had the time to get out some Red Oak that had blown down a few years back, I ended up with a couple of cords maybe more. It was good to get out! This stuff is HEAVY, thank god for my grapple on the Kubota.
T2FNXFPl.jpg

For reference those wooden sides are 5.5" tall
RnUsqMdl.jpg
Nice.
I burn quite a bit of that Northern Red Oak too.
It is VERY heavy especially when wet. I don't have a machine to move it so I have to man-handle most rounds.
I'll usually cut them to lengths that I can move with my cant hook and the smaller stuff I just use the log tongs and hookeroon which are two tools worth their weight.
It's all worth it in the end, whether the wood is being milled or burned.
Fiskars Pickaroon.jpg LogRite 60 inch cant hook1.jpg Timber tuff tongs 1c.jpg

Nice.
I burn quite a bit of that Northern Red Oak too.
It is VERY heavy especially when wet. I don't have a machine to move it so I have to man-handle most rounds.
I'll usually cut them to lengths that I can move with my cant hook and the smaller stuff I just use the log tongs and hookeroon which are two tools worth their weight.
It's all worth it in the end, whether the wood is being milled or burned.
View attachment 871788 View attachment 871790 View attachment 871791
I have all those tools (or similar) and there is no way I would have gotten all that wood out in one day with just them. I split some of it yesterday and even just rolling them to the log lift on the splitter and stacking in one of my pallet things it's still a lot of hard work.

Love me some Red Oak, good burn and easy split.
That stuff might be a little tougher to hand split cause of it's girth.

At my age, if it don't pop, I just cut it up into biscuits. Lol

Went back up to the property Friday and Sunday for a bit and hauled out some downed trees, bucked them up and hauled them out this morning. This stuff is Maple, Ash and Black Birch which was all cut and just left for a "wild life opening" I'm not sure what kind of wild life they were hoping to attract. I haven't seen so much as a squirrel...lol Anyway, this stuff is dry enough I can split it and burn it right away :)
I'll snap a couple more pictures tomorrow of the pile.
I6l7NRXl.jpg

Latest posts

Back