Redneck Powerplant

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kevin J-Good thought, but those trucks are not "Indestructible". Nearly, but not really. Ask anyone that has worked on them in the motor pool. Spent 9 1/2 years working on them and saw some crazy stuff break. Can't imagine what the vehicles in the combat zone are going thru right now. I know what happens in training environments. I am thankful for all those serving, but I am glad I am not there. They are who we owe our freedom.

Mr4wd- 200lb and who knows how much it is going to cost, IF nobody gets hurt.

I see where you guys are comming from. I just dont see how the bearings would seize under 0 load. you know how un-godly hot that thing would have to get before it welded the spyder gears to the ring or welded the spyder gears in their carrier to make it a locker? i dont think you could take a torch and do that. expecially pouring 90 wt over it.

When i get done with my load tomorrow i will feel of the axle housing. and if its to hot to touch i'll get a temperature gun and get a reading. i just dont see it happening...

and to be honest about it if i was wrong, the truck would move ~2 feet forward, fall off of the block, try to push the processor, and since the left hub is on the ground the right wheel will try to pull the truck forward and try to push the processor at the same time. now since the left side is on the ground, the majority of the weight will be on it and relieve the traction off of the right side which would just spin. i could have it shut down in a matter of seconds. most damage i can forsee is a sheared keyway on the pump shaft... i'll take my chances

Dude

I see where you guys are comming from. I just dont see how the bearings would seize under 0 load. you know how un-godly hot that thing would have to get before it welded the spyder gears to the ring or welded the spyder gears in their carrier to make it a locker? i dont think you could take a torch and do that. expecially pouring 90 wt over it.

When i get done with my load tomorrow i will feel of the axle housing. and if its to hot to touch i'll get a temperature gun and get a reading. i just dont see it happening...

and to be honest about it if i was wrong, the truck would move ~2 feet forward, fall off of the block, try to push the processor, and since the left hub is on the ground the right wheel will try to pull the truck forward and try to push the processor at the same time. now since the left side is on the ground, the majority of the weight will be on it and relieve the traction off of the right side which would just spin. i could have it shut down in a matter of seconds. most damage i can forsee is a sheared keyway on the pump shaft... i'll take my chances

First this aint a pissing match, on my part, A couple things u and I dont agree with , the pump shaft has nothing to do with sun gears seizing, I should say they are the least of my concernes,..The other thing you and I dont agree with is when that truck falls off the block ,...the hub side IS GOING TO CARRY the majority of the weight,..Wrong The up side (WHEEL SIDE) will carry most of the weight,..giving it more than enough traction to crush and or kill anything in its path, Iam truly a red neck,...I like the idea of tethering the truck to a tree, seriousley,.. last, Dont bet your life, (at least any one elses) on tempeture predicting a bearing about to seize, STAY SAFE Eric

The old timers ran buzz saws off the rear wheels of their trucks (my grandpa used a jeep) all the time. They jacked up one side, put just a rim on that hub, put the big flat belt on it, and let it run (all day long day after day). Now they where using a lot littler axle and was running it though the spiders to the hub with no problems. SURELY, I can run a set of gears that are WAY bigger with NO load on them for 45 mins at a time. Trust me I'm fine, thanks for your concern.

Last edited:
question.... what if the fron end was jacked up so both wheels were off the ground?? would that not take the stress off the gears?

question.... what if the fron end was jacked up so both wheels were off the ground?? would that not take the stress off the gears?

it would... IF there was any. but there isnt so all you would be accomplishing is jacking up the other side....

The other thing you and I dont agree with is when that truck falls off the block ,...the hub side IS GOING TO CARRY the majority of the weight,..Wrong The up side (WHEEL SIDE) will carry most of the weight,..giving it more than enough traction to crush and or kill anything in its path,
:chatter:

oh and thats exactly why when i get stuck on a hill the downhill wheel with all the weight spins :buttkick:

From what I’ve read, you may very well be asking for trouble in that front diff. BUT, if you just removes the hub / drive flanges (red arrow points to it) from both sides, the spiders won’t spin, and it will be just like driving down the road. AND you won’t have to take the wheels off or jack anything up. Just put a little bag or something over the open hubs to keep the grease and stuff inside, and to keep the water out.

untitled-1.jpg

uh thanks? i know what the "hub/drive flanges" are. THE GEARS HAVE NO LOAD ON THEM. their fine. I didn't ask if ya'll thought it would work. and i dont need any advice from a bunch of armchair mechanics. I just thought some one would like to see how I cut wood. Trust me this has been done for decades. I'm not the first. And think of it this way... If it does blow up and kill me then that's just one less banjo pickin hillbilly that you won't have to worry about on your next float trip.....

Last edited:
uh thanks? i know what the "hub/drive flanges" are. THE GEARS HAVE NO LOAD ON THEM. their fine. I didn't ask if ya'll thought it would work. and i dont need any advice from a bunch of armchair mechanics. I just thought some one would like to see how I cut wood. Trust me this has been done for decades. I'm not the first. And think of it this way... If it does blow up and kill me then that's just one less banjo pickin hillbilly that you won't have to worry about on your next float trip.....

Ha,ha,ha...:clap: Get that video posted! :cheers:

i cut some more out of it and made it alot smaller (resolution sucks now) but maybe just maybe it will upload...

Automotive and Truck differentials are designed for occasional use with the axles at different speeds. Continued use will eventually cause lots of wear on the spider gears and lead to failure. Lucky for you it has a "open" differential or it would try to turn the wheel it has on the ground. Given it is an US Army truck differential it will hold up for awhile, but not forever.

Jack up the other wheel, take the wheel off and you are good to go, no worries.

Automotive and Truck differentials are designed for occasional use with the axles at different speeds. Continued use will eventually cause lots of wear on the spider gears and lead to failure. Lucky for you it has a "open" differential or it would try to turn the wheel it has on the ground. Given it is an US Army truck differential it will hold up for awhile, but not forever.

Jack up the other wheel, take the wheel off and you are good to go, no worries.

Or, as I already stated above, remove the hub/drive flanges and neither wheel has to be off the ground.

OR, leave it like it is because a) its not hurting a thing and b) its my truck, my processor, my life, my call. Period

well I never said anything about the weakness in the spider gears... I was jsut responding to those who were giving all those complicated answers... I just suggested to jack the front end up... thats all jeezzz excuse me for even saying anything

OR, leave it like it is because a) its not hurting a thing and b) its my truck, my processor, my life, my call. Period

a) has yet to proven

but
b) trumps a)

I guess the cool take-away from this is people that do not know you are actually concerned for your safety. Where I live you don't get alot of that.
:cheers:

Latest posts

Back