Redwood beam

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Backwoods

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
The other day I was out talking with some of my competition and saw a 40’ beam that was squared up at 24”x 24” with no sapwood. I did not have the camera with me or there would be a couple pictures here. He had milled it up on an LT-40 with a 24’ bed extension. Next time I make it up to that area I will take the camera as he is reclaiming tons of Redwood from old sawmills in northern California that he is dismantling.

I can't amagine a beam that big! What would a redwood beam that size be worth on the market? :jawdrop:

At about $1 per bd ft, that would be.....roughly $1920. But probably much more for its massiveness and rarity. Rarely do you see solid redwood beams in excess of 25' and 12" x 12" anymore, so I'm guessing that as a beam, $5000 would not be unreasonable. It'd make one hell of a barn ridge beam, or center girder for a barn loft floor, although you'd likely need a crane, big forklift, or big tractor with some heavy pulleys and tackle gear to set it.

I once watched...standing far back from the action...a guy raise a balloon framed 2 story post and beam wall assembled on the ground using a 'floating' A-frame contraption built from 20' 2x6's, rope, pulleys, assorted tackle, and a 4x4 pickup truck. That one has some 'pucker factor' built into it. LOL!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back