Related to the installing a line thread: What is your preferred method?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fastbub

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
When going spurless (ie: pruning) What is your preferred method of entry. Ladder? ALT to the tie in point? Throwbag? Slingshot? Bucket?:clap: Spiderlift?:rock:

I have no bucket or lift so it is all climbing for me. I like to be able to ALT up to my TIP if I can so I can have a good look at it to make sure it is good. Sometimes you just have to set it from the ground so I go with something real fat and I will move it to something more ideal once I am up there.

I will go for the ideal TIP to ascend to then reset for better work position.

I like a 8 or 10 oz ball then isolate with 12 or 18 depending on the tree.

My TIP will not be too fat, since I like to tie high and want less friction. The more vertical, the smaller diameter wood.

Varies on species and placement really. Generally throwline, but if the first few shots aren't happening, sometimes I'll give in for a low tie in and hike my way up with a 2 in 1 and make my climbing line advances with a 12oz clipped on my biner. Sometimes pole pruner placement, sometimes ladder entry, sometimes a rope ball. It pays to have a few options when every now and then, your day starts off with throwshot #1 going 80ft straight up, shot 2 hitting the branch about ½ inch below your desired union, and shot 3 sends a birdsnest out of the cube and stops the ball 2" from the same union.

Whatever works...me and a throwball are a sight to watch.
On a recent job my groundie was heard to say, 'If you hit it you can have your choice of any stuffed animal on the top shelf...' a while later, it was...ANY stuffed animal on ANY shelf!!!'

I have no bucket or lift so it is all climbing for me. I like to be able to ALT up to my TIP if I can so I can have a good look at it to make sure it is good. Sometimes you just have to set it from the ground so I go with something real fat and I will move it to something more ideal once I am up there.

This would be how would explain my way of entry. +2:cheers:

Whatever works...me and a throwball are a sight to watch.
On a recent job my groundie was heard to say, 'If you hit it you can have your choice of any stuffed animal on the top shelf...' a while later, it was...ANY stuffed animal on ANY shelf!!!'

:ices_rofl: That's a good one. And I know where that is at. I was working on a tree a couple weeks ago for like a half hour until my brother said let me try. First shot, beginners luck. :buttkick: :laugh:

Most often I work my way up setting my line with a pruner pole. On the bigger fun stuff I get to use the big shot. :clap:

Sometimes, when the situation calls for it, I will throw a monkey fist of rope. On a good day I can accurately hit a 35+ foot high fork.

:ices_rofl: That's a good one. And I know where that is at. I was working on a tree a couple weeks ago for like a half hour until my brother said let me try. First shot, beginners luck. :buttkick: :laugh:

Yah!!! Whats with that! My groundies can pick up the back and lob it right up there, somewhat embarrasing eh!!:cry:

Throw bag with zing it line as high as I can hit within the first few throws. Then climb the rest with a 2 in 1 and retie the line wherever looks good and strong. Ladder if there are many branches down low and an easy climb up to a good tie in point to work from.

Throwbag with zing it. Big shot to put er up.

I use a split tail system, closed loop, and prefer to trunk walk up into the canopy with my flipline.

I'll use a 2in1 lanyard i made myself for funky positioning.

I will go for the ideal TIP to ascend to then reset for better work position.

I like a 8 or 10 oz ball then isolate with 12 or 18 depending on the tree.

My TIP will not be too fat, since I like to tie high and want less friction. The more vertical, the smaller diameter wood.

jps, out of curiosity what is your limit in the wood's diameter that you'll tie into?

we've just about got the same physics going on when it comes to the working a tree and was just wondering.

i know in a willow i trust nothing but the other day i was in a norway maple(again not really a too trustworthy wood in my opinion) and in my highest TIP possible, anyway i needed to make a couple handsaw pruning cuts so i ended up above my rope in the crotch on about 3-4inch diameter wood when the wind came.

i quickly got below the TIP after the cuts and cursed the wind but my Q is at where in the wood do you go no further with your TIP? and maybe some specie example?

please and thanks

oldirty

Last edited:
Back