Relocating after Retirement

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1969cj-5

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I have recently retired from the Air Force. I am looking to relocate back to the MountainWest. I am looking to buy an established firewood business, or possibly get information on areas that have the need of a new firewood producer. I am done haviing a boss and I am loking to make firewood my full time profession as opposed to the 50 or so cords I produce now. Thanks in advanece folks.

I just recently retired from the Air Force too and moved back to Montana. From what I see here in the Bitterroot Valley there is no large firewood businesses. There are craigslist sellers and a couple of smaller businesses selling as I think most people get their own wood. Example, I got here in July and had to wait for the fire danger and smoke to clear in August and just finished getting my forth cord of wood. Not saying one could not make it with the right connections getting log truck loads delivered on the cheap. Good luck!

Not sure how you would value an existing firewood business. Very few contracts in the business and no guarantee of supply or customers. And even with a no compete clause you would be in trouble quick if the person just started up again. I think I would rather buy some suitable sized property in a location that has lots of close customers and process bought loads of logs elsewhere and truck the splits to the selling location. Basically like McDonalds, Timmies, Home Depot, Lowes, Walmart or whoever operates, put the product where the customers are and truck all the inputs there. If the customers move or a cheaper supplier comes along you just move your storefront elsewhere. Maybe even just lease or rent a building in a busy spot and sell from there. Bulk sales would be done a little differently. Very seldom do you see a great demand and good price for firewood in an area that has lots of trees. Land and buildings are usually cheaper away from heavily populated areas. Buy enough land to store bought logs, processor area and storage area. Once you have the splits on a truck another 50 miles down the road doesn't make a huge difference as long as you are hauling enough wood, ie 40' gravel trailer. Pick up loads would be a waste of time. This is a life decision that you need to spend some time thinking through.
https://www.google.ca/maps/place/Su...2!3m1!1s0x89d54cfe40eeded1:0x503c2d461b8cb59a

Ask SlowP what she thinks you should do.

Well, he'd be stupid to move here and start up a firewood business. We've already got many firewood sellers. Plus, when the logging and mill workers are laid off like in 2009, there are even more trailers and pickups full of firewood parked in yards along the highway with Firewood For Sale signs on them. The same goes for Campfire Wood For Sale.

What we need is a bicycle mechanic for people like me, who can't figure out how to fix the fancy brakes on their bike. Brakes are a good thing to have.

For some reason, a couple moved here from Colorado and started up a business selling used tires and buying aluminum cans. They stayed in business about 6 months.

Back