Relying on Others

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

memetic

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Some of you who have been ever so helpful (thanks, truly), or just read my previous posts, know that I am not an arborist. I am an architect with a Master of Architecture degree from Yale and did a lot of studies in forestry and landscape design, ecology, and evolutionary theory (I am also a master farmer). That is how I got my start in this business. This has just happened recently as our economy has hit the chipper and not too much new construction and new landscape designs are sought after. We seem to be in a maintenance economy, at least here anyway.

I had too many clients wanting tree work done that I decided to add that service rather than see all that potential money go elsewhere. I got the proper insurance (as many have read about) and hired the proper crew and taken on a partner with years and years of experience to help with the tree work.

My question is where can I go and read good sources on what I need to know to catch up. I know that experience is key and that is what I am learning now on a day to day basis in the field, but I want more.

I have scoured this site and always look up terms and techniques that I come across, but if there are some online sources other than this site it would be great to know. So far I have just been kind of piecemealing it together. I did a lot of google searches and read as much as I could, but I never came across any kind of 101 for tree work. Maybe there are some books I can buy?

I totally trust my partner, but sometimes I wish I knew what he knew, or knew more to help things run optimally. Plus, I love to learn new things. There is no way that everything comes from experience only, there has to be some studying involved. Or, maybe I’m just a nerd – but a hardcore motherf’n one who doesn’t mind getting’ down and dirty (with shorts on), but isn’t too scared to pick up a book or read on the interweb.

If you got some info on some good reads please post ‘em.

Thanks

Start doing some research on the ISA (International Society of Arboriculture), TCIA (Tree Care Industry Association), and possibly become familiar with the ANSI standards. (I believe work safety/practices outlined for tree care/ground operations).

Actually wanting to do it the right way is probably a good start in itself. :) Thats the boat I'm in.

Tree Care Industry has a magazine with a free subscription and online archives that go back to 2006 that are free if you do a search for their website.

I also have bought a couple of good books and plan on getting more. The ones I am currently reading: Tree climber's companion and Fundamentals of general tree work.

I have been doing tree work since mid- 90's but I am by no means an expert. Always looking to be better at what I do.

Good luck and great attitude!

Fred

There also is at least one company online that will rent the Arbormaster dvd series for a reasonable fee.

Looks like a good training series for my crew (and me!!!) Going to start renting them soon myself.

Last edited:
That is exactly why treework is so great, 99% of it comes from skills gained through experience. You can read all you want, but until you get into the tree and make it happen, you don't really know.

Keeps a lot of dead weight out of the biz, at least most don't last long. Either because of accidents or letting the tough jobs go because they don't have the skills, you can only do that so long before you are out of gravy work. A lot of treework gets done buy tough crackheads, no degrees.

I am not one of these people however. I am educated and continue my learning and always will, but I will die with my workboots on, mark my words. Nobody can take that honor from me.

You can't surpass or even come close to equalling an experienced treeman by only studying material. Studying certainly does have merit though when mixed with years of firsthand experience.

Good luck on finding material, I don't believe there is a one stop shop for this. Pick up what you can when you can. The learning curve is very sharp in this profession. Good day.

P.S. - I am not ragging on you, my speeches are just as much for my own motivation.

Last edited:
Back