Remembering my first saw.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

damifino

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
My first saw was a Jonsereds 49sp. I bought it 26 years ago (1982) in northern Minnesota from the "Sturgeon Garage" in Angora Mn. The shop was old and cluttered and the guy who sold me the saw was just as old and cluttered but what I wouldn't give to go back in time and sit in that old shop and visit with that old timer.I would like to know what he thought of the new wave saws of the 80's or I would like to know about his first saw and how old he was when he got it. I still have my Jonsereds 49 with all the paperwork. Maybe its been covered before but if anyone would like to share their story of their first saw I would like to hear it.

Thanks

My first saw was a 039 I bought brand new. I bought it from a country hardware store. I used that saw for years to cut all my firewood. It was my only saw and never let me down. I found this site a couple years ago and did my first muffler mod to that saw. It responded well. As the CAD progressed, the perfectly adequte 039 no longer fit "my needs":) And as they say, the rest is history.

Skill

My first saw was a skill given to me by my dad, a very old and well used saw. He replaced it with a stihl due to issues with the carb, I later replaced it with Husqvarna for the same reasons. Despite sentimental value I just couldnt stand the worn carb..... hopefully I'll one day pass on my Husky (with the carb still functioning)

The first one I used was my dad's XL12. M

The first one I owned is my P41 which was given to my dad non-running. He didn't have the time or knowledge to fix it, so he gave it to me as a project. He didn't really expect me to fix it, rather he figured it was already broke so there was nothing to lose by me ripping it apart. However all it needed was a new piston and cylinder ($30), and I got it going in no time. It's still a workhorse five years later, though heavy so it tends to sit on the floor a lot. But I've made it cut some trees that a saw that size had no business even trying. :chainsaw:

My father gave me my first saw. Pioneer/Partner P42. Slow as sin and just as heavy. It cut all the firewood I through it at and never complained. It even was used for a felling saw when I was in high school. I'm fixing her as we speak. I ain't ever going to get rid of it.

First saw 1958 Pioneer 600 was my Dads saw bought new and given to me when I turned 13. My first new saw 1966 Pioneer model 1450 still running and cutting real good.
However I use MS440`s for everyday serious woods work.
Pioneerguy600

My post is a little laughable compared to many folks here, because I only bought my first saw 4 years ago. It was an 041 with issues. It ran but it was pretty crusty looking. I took it in to a repair guy and he said.... "jeeze, ya coulda just got a NEW one."

My response was "..but I don't WANT a new one, I want THIS one!" Admittedly, it was probably not the best beginner's saw.

My first saw was a used 031 it was getting tired when I bought a Johnsered 520 sp from a neighbor at his garage sale for $25 he used it to take down 1 tree. Even after I bought a 044 I used that saw 95% of the time and it always ran great.

My first saw was also a Jonsered 49SP, bought new in 1982. Purchased in western PA at a lawn and garden supply. Only saw for 17 years and I still have it and use it sometimes. Cut some things with it that should have had a bigger saw but it was always up for the challange.

Regretfully i started out with a poulan 16" and no there was no real fond memories with that saw. My first real saw is my 2159 and oh my i like it alot ,plan on keeping it a real long time.:greenchainsaw:

My first saw was a 40cc Ryobi (yes, I bought it at HD) a few years ago to cut down some apple trees at my moms house. Well, only memories I have of it are bad. Knowing what I know now (these saws have an issue with the fuel pickup hose being too stiff and not following gravity when the saw is flipped around), its not too bad of a saw. I just remember cutting down a fence row with my dad, the Ryobi quit one last time. I threw it on the ground, picked up his 028 Super, and never looked back. I think I had the 361 that next weekend. Still got the Ryobi, it does all the dirty work. Now that i've since fixed the gas line pickup issue, its actually a nice saw.

My first saw was a remington electric. It barely cut but it got wood into my fireplace.

No "fond" memories of that one at all.

My first saw was a Jonsereds 49sp. I bought it 26 years ago (1982) in northern Minnesota from the "Sturgeon Garage" in Angora Mn. The shop was old and cluttered and the guy who sold me the saw was just as old and cluttered but what I wouldn't give to go back in time and sit in that old shop and visit with that old timer.I would like to know what he thought of the new wave saws of the 80's or I would like to know about his first saw and how old he was when he got it. I still have my Jonsereds 49 with all the paperwork. Maybe its been covered before but if anyone would like to share their story of their first saw I would like to hear it.

Thanks
I haven't ever stopped in that shop, but I grew up a few miles south of there. I remember seeing that old jonsered sign hanging out front numerous times as my dad and I drove by it to go fishing near Orr.

First saw was a Poulan 306a....Saw ran great for years and had an unbelievable sound to it! Lent it to my FIL one year, when he burnt his saw up (should of been my first clue) and even after giving him a can of 32/1 mix he decides to use his fuel 50/1 (probably 2 years old to boot) and proceeds to seize up my old classic. :angry:

"Well I know you said to use your fuel but since you lent me the saw, I didn't want to use your fuel too" :dizzy:

If anyone is looking for parts for an old 306a PM me....I have lots of good parts.

048 she was the first

Hi my first contact with chainsaws was in the age of 13 with a 08-Stihl from the neigbour. Firewoodig and I got some CAD-virus. It was a fine expirience how much better it cut after I filed the dull chain with a filing support. We gave it back to our neigbour sharper than we got.
Than my mother decided: Boy needs a chainsaw so I got a 048 #7700027. Tank- and crankcase fullmetal.
Tink I was 16, and nobody was alowed to tuch her. I mounted a rimsprocket and It is still running fine. In age of 18 I purchased a 020 tophandle. Painfull for the wrists.
My CAD really broke out when I made some reserch for the 288xp in the web and i found AS.(http://www.arboristsite.com/showpost.php?p=291507&postcount=50) :givebeer:
now my number goes to 10
Cheers Vincent

My first was a Cox Beaver - Bought it in around 1966, I was in high school - I think it was 60.00 new? but my memory has faded some. Local shop let me pay it off 5.00/week. Traded it in the next year on a Homelite XL 101.

First saw

The first saw a ran was my dad's Homelite Super 2 VI, I think I was about 12years old. Dad also had a 550 with a 31" bar that was pretty awesome. I got a firewood itch and I used the Super 2 for a season to cut and sell firewood. I saved up $500, and bought a Brand New Stihl 044 18", dad paid the difference. I think the 044 was $720, in 1993? Since them it has been exciting! I have a lot of saws, including a bunch of old Homelites.

Jonathan

First Saw

My first was a Red Homelite AO 150, heated my home with it for quite a few years. A buddy of mine had a blue one and told me you can depend on them, they keep going and going, he was right. Still have a great affection for Homelite.

First Saw

My first saw was a homelite super ez with 16'' bar ran it till the crank bearings went out,bought it in 1970 was good saw in its day used it 10years..........:givebeer:

Back