Remembering my first saw.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My first saw, in 1984, was a used yellow John Deere (Echo), model unknown, with a 16" bar. It was really a scrappy little cutter, but it would never oil right, and I had a hard time keeping it running. Used it to scrounge firewood one winter. My neighbor used it to cut roots out of postholes for his fence.........I'm glad he got some use out of it........it was never the same after that. duh. The death knell came when I was out of bar oil and used 90W gear oil, which promptly melted the oil line. When I found out that the repair nvolved splitting teh case, I junked it. Fun memories of getting firewood from out in the country, but not fun being unable to use this saw half the time because it was an unreliable piece of, uh, "equipment."

My first Stihl was an 026, followed by an 009. I stihl have both, they run perfectly.:greenchainsaw:

My first was a 3400 Poulan. Bought it from the Wheelhorse/Poulan dealer for the grand total of 199.95 out the door.
I was still in high school and a big storm came through our neighborhood.
I went to the neighborhood outdoor power equipment dealer and bought the saw on credit on a friday afternoon. The following friday afternoon I walked in and paid it off.(and still had a decent wad of money in my pocket)
I used that saw for everything for years until someone decided they needed it more than I did. Fantastic saw!
Mike

My first was a 3400 Poulan. Bought it from the Wheelhorse/Poulan dealer for the grand total of 199.95 out the door.
I was still in high school and a big storm came through our neighborhood.
I went to the neighborhood outdoor power equipment dealer and bought the saw on credit on a friday afternoon. The following friday afternoon I walked in and paid it off.(and still had a decent wad of money in my pocket)
I used that saw for everything for years until someone decided they needed it more than I did. Fantastic saw!
Mike
I wore a 3700 out, It took a long time and a lot of cutting, It was a good running saw and a easy one to work with. Probably could have rebuilt it, But got rid of it. still have a 3400 but it don't get used much.The old poulans were good saws. It's a shame what they have become.

McCullough 610, never gave the first hint of trouble, but they should have never been allowed to sell those with a 20" bar! I bought a Husqvarna 480 in 1980 to replace it, and it sat for years only used if the 480 got pinched......Cliff

First saw I bought was a Husky L77 in 1978 for 495.00. Bought it from a real pro saw dealer in rural SC- still use the saw today,:greenchainsaw:

My first saw was a Homelite XL12; bought it in 1964 when they first came out.
Used it nearly every day for 2 years to cut pine pulpwood. Put it through a lot, but it always kept on cranking. Loggers of the day thought it a toy saw, but it worked good for me cutting pulp.

Homelite 330 from Sears. I think it was the biggest they carried-no replacement for displacement! Ran well until the ignition fizzled. Borrowed friends Huskies and Echos to get firewood for heating, until I broke down and got a 372, and itching for a Dolmar 5100 or 346xp-decision, decisions, decisions:) .

My first saw was my 021. I still have it. I've cut a lot of wood with it. If and when I wear it out, I'll buy a MS210 to replace it (hopefully they still make them!). It's been very good to me. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one.

My first was a Cox Beaver - Bought it in around 1966, I was in high school - I think it was 60.00 new? but my memory has faded some. Local shop let me pay it off 5.00/week. Traded it in the next year on a Homelite XL 101.
Speaking of the Cox Beaver, I picked one up at a local auction last weekend. It is a left handed chainsaw. This one is in pretty good condition. I haven't had to much time to mess with it, but it did fire with mix in the carb on three pulls. I did some research on it and found that they used the engine on these saws for model gas powered airplanes. Heres a couple pictures of mine.

Last edited:

my first was a homelite 27av and it served me well until I took it camping with my friends and a cooler full of beer.I had broken 2 flywheels since the keyway is built into them a very bad design but the saw had lasted me 7 years or better.Now I have a ms 440 and the campfire wood gathering is much quicker and bigger.It was a 45cc saw

My first was a Stihl 017 that I bought used. I didn't have much luck with it. If it was cold, it would start on the third pull, but run a tank through it and shut it off to refuel and you'd be yanking on that thing for 10 minutes to get it going again. No fond memories there. Took it to the Stihl dealer and he couldn't do anything with it either. I think I sold it in a yard sale for next to nothing.

Ian

My first saw

My first saw was a Poulan PP4218 42 cc 18 inch bar
got it cut with it for a half hour and the chain was dull wne to the hardware store bought an oregon bar and chain cut for the rest of the day it was what it was but sometimes now when I look at the spot on the shelf where the yellow saw used to sit and all I see is Stihl Orange I kind of miss the little saw that could...LOL

First saw

my first saw was a 031av done a lot of work

gettin a bit low on power now, was so impressed i bought one for the FIL

refurbished it so when i visit there will be a real saw to use!

Last edited:
About 20 years ago my first saw was a" McCulloch Eager Beaver", what a pile of junk, i could never get it to run properly.
Ended up tossing it in the bin,then bought a Stihl 010 AV:)

My first saw was a pawn shop mac pm610 with an 18" bar. Torquey and I like the manual backup oiler. That was 16yrs. ago. Since then, well..............once you run an 090 the world just isn't the same anymore.

my first saw

My first saw was a Mini Mac 30. I still have it and it runs good. Good trail trimmer...........J

My grandpa gave me my first saw 3 weeks ago. A 262xp that is in need of a carb kit. I have averaged one saw purchase a week since then. This is just the beginning.....

My first was a used 046 Stihl with 20" bar, been a great saw and I still use it regularly. Although I do find myself reaching for the 066 with 28" a little more often than I thought I would :givebeer:

My first saw was a Jonsereds 49sp. I bought it 26 years ago (1982) in northern Minnesota from the "Sturgeon Garage" in Angora Mn. The shop was old and cluttered and the guy who sold me the saw was just as old and cluttered but what I wouldn't give to go back in time and sit in that old shop and visit with that old timer.I would like to know what he thought of the new wave saws of the 80's or I would like to know about his first saw and how old he was when he got it. I still have my Jonsereds 49 with all the paperwork. Maybe its been covered before but if anyone would like to share their story of their first saw I would like to hear it.

Thanks
My first Chain Saw was a Homelite XL-76. I got it at an auction sale, for $125.00. That saw was the biggest pain to operate, Hard to start, Clumsy, ocward outfit to use, It was OK for bucking, but with the bar tipped up as high as it was, allways hitting the ground, and dulling the chain.
First Real Chain Saw was a McCulloch Prp Mac 60 (listed below), form My Great Uncle. He bought it new in 1973. I bought it from him in 1984. It has cut a lot of wood since, and still does a good job yet.
Bruce.

Back