Remington/Mall coil swap, how to.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
One of the biggest problems with really old saws is the magneto coil has fallen apart or shorted out. Finding a replacement coil for a Bendix-Scintilla can be nearly impossible.

Mall coil gone south.

attachment.php

Remington fallen apart.

attachment.php

Just happens there is a common Wico coil that can be swapped in. It has a 3/8" square center that fits on the Bendix pole piece. I found one on a Homelite XL-101 and another on a Remington SL-9. The points lead and ground are on the 'wrong' end but you can work around that.

Wico coil in center of pic., a Phelon coil on left. The Phelon coil center if 3/8" x 15/32". You would need to shim to center it.

attachment.php

Strip off the old coil from the pole piece (I used a MFH and a sharp chizel) and grind down the rivit on one end. Do not remove the rivit or let the laminations seperate! A couple trial fits in the Wico coil will give you an indication if you got it down far enuff. File, sand and polish the pole piece smooth so it won't pick up or tear plastic when you press it in the Wico coil. Give the pole and other laminations a coat of spar varnish and let it all dry.

Wico coil in position.

attachment.php

Press the pole into the coil and add pigtails to the ground and points lead.

Contd. in next panel.

Last edited:
The Wico coil with pigtails added.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Clip the pole/coil back on the plate and bias the coil to one end to clear the wire connection tab. Goober on a liberal coat or two of Liquid Electrical Tape. Available at Lowes in with the tape in the electrical department.

attachment.php

attachment.php

New coil installed.

attachment.php

Hey Carl,

It turns out that my Silver logmaster and SL-5 coils ARE bad. I tried cleaning up points, changing plug wire and epoxying the cracks in the coil (all to no avail). Weak spark at best. I thought I might try the Homelite coil ( the Disston-Mercury DA-211 and the Mall 7H seem too big). Is there any way I can see the pics that go along with this thread? I want to take advantage of your experience and effort.

I appreciate the effort. The text of the thread will do. It's a great start. I don't have your skills but eventually, I'll give it a go and post pics of my progress (or destruction).
thanks again!

Back