Remorse with MS391, going to MS362M??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chuck Oppermann

Deere Dude
Reaction score
I am a homeowner firewood guy. This week I ordered an MS391 on Monday but a day later I had buyers remorse and called and cancelled the order.
Why would I do that? Previous to the order I talked to my local dealer with 35 years fixing chainsaws and selling Stihl saws experience.

He told me I should get a MS311 but I ordered the MS391 for the cu. in. but really wanted a MS362 at heart but was quite a bit more expensive. He told me that he saw some problems with the Mtronic part and that it could be a pain in the butt to work on. The olders saws are proven. That is why he steered me away from it. This is a heavy logging area and many loggers it seems get a 311 or the 4XX series.

Now, I have a few 30" oaks to take care of and I need to reorder a saw, and was aiming at the 362 MTronic saw but after reading a negative story on 362Ms I am not sure again.

It seems most of the posts I read so far are from guys that posted back in 2011 and 2012.

I suppose I am looking for MS362M users with a saw 1-2 years old that have great stories to tell.

Well if guidosalvage has a good ms362 non-mtronic you may be in business.... I have a non-mtronic ms362 and and it's a damn good saw.... It is my go to firewood saw... With a 20" bar it is lighter than the ms290, and better built than the ms391-ms311....I know you would be happy with one for firewood..... I have not ran any stihl with mtronic technology, so I am no help there!!!!

Hate to be the Devils advocate here, but if i get into 30" stuff, I am breaking out my ms461 and putting the ms362 in the truck....

Who cares which of the two you have as a homeowner firewooder. They will both do their job more than good enough that you will never bring in more wood with either.

I would have choosen neither, because I am not a fan of the plastic "farmer" class nor of the "mTronic" class. My choice would have been another brand like Dolmar 6100 or Echo 590/620. Nothing to worry about that any hill billy mechanic cannot work on.

Who cares which of the two you have as a homeowner firewooder. They will both do their job more than good enough that you will never bring in more wood with either.

I would have choosen neither, because I am not a fan of the plastic "farmer" class nor of the "mTronic" class. My choice would have been another brand like Dolmar 6100 or Echo 590/620. Nothing to worry about that any hill billy mechanic cannot work on.

That is kind of what the Stihl shop owner advised. Not going to an Echoo but stick with the normal operating kind instead of the MTronic. He won't be around forever and the next Stihl dealer is an hour away. His advice seemed to be in my better interest.

LMFAO!!!!

I have no idea why someone would suggest an MS311 when it weighs the same as the MS391 but has less power. It's really a no brainer. The 391 would have been a fine saw for your needs, IMO. That is a very capable saw with a 20" B&C.

Take Guido Up on his offer if it's a regular 362.

Two of my distant cousins who own the largest local tree service in our area, had to take back 2 nearly new 362CM due to scoring.

They were told that the saws weren't being operated correctly,( I want to say not enough WOT), and that's why they scored.

WTF.

They limb & trim with them mostly, they aren't felling & bucking the Redwoods.

These guys drop some major coin on OP Equipment every year.

I'll have mine in non MTronic, Thank You.

Oh hell no tell me it ain't by pall mall or Jamestown, that's were me kin from... You know any Piles they got big greenhouses in pall mall

I would have zero reservations about an M-tronic saw having owned two for the last couple years. They are modified and reliable as gravity. The very newest version of the 362 is supposed to have shed weight and added HP compared to the last version. But it is worth mentioning that saws like the Dolmar 6100 are out there if you want something new and want to save a couple hundred bucks. I have used mine only a very little bit but it's been very encouraging so far. My 6100 was less $$ than that 391 was going to cost you.

The 362 won't be much stronger than a 391, but it will be lighter and have less vibration. For 30" trees either of these choices would be be out of their comfort zone.

Disagree...either one should have plenty enough grunt to pull the length of a 20" bar which tackles 30"+ wood quite easily. Sure, a bigger displacement saw would work better but a 60cc saw is plenty capable.

OP, take him up on his offer.
Hohenwald=land of big churches and fine cuisine. Just moved here 3 years ago and don't recognize the name you mentioned.

I am more of a "get it from the store" kind of guy. I don't have the confidence some of you have in other people polishing and porting and modifying the saws to be able to buy one, even though they might be better.

The Stihl dealer, whom I got to know and I trust, was trying to save me money by buying a good saw at a reasonable price that would work for a homeowner firewood guy. I don't need a screamer like a 4XX like loggers seem to be sold on here because of the high expense even though they last a long time for them. The crux of it is I don't want to get something unproven by time and the dealer wasn't to excited about that either, even though I am sure he would make more money on a 362M that a 391.

He did say he sold a lot of 311s to loggers, maybe for lighter work, I don't know, but they never have to come back for service. It is a small town with lots of loggers and he gets most of the business, it seems. He doesn't have a lot on shelf or I would have probably taken one home already then I wouldn't be confused anymore.

I tried out a 311 or something close as a loaner and I thought it worked quite well, but am not sure how that would compare to a 391. It sure was a lot faster than my 25 year old 55EV echo.

Maybe I am overthinking it to much.
While ciphering I came upon literature for a CS 620P Echo which is in the mix now.

Either way I want to order it Monday or Tuesday because I have a big oak on a guys lawn I need to pick up ASAP.

Latest posts

Back