Removal Advice and Tree ID

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dr. Cornwallis

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
We have lived in our house now for close to two years. The house was built in 1960 and from what I can see some of the trees here were never trimmed and some only very minimally. Everything was VERY overgrown. After trimming back our large live oak and a very overgrown palm tree, I could see the top of this mystery tree in question.

The tree is dead (confirmed by arborist) and is pointing right at our house. Seeing as we are approaching the stormy season here in Florida, the tree has to go asap.

I wouldn't worry too much about it normally except that it's leaning towards my house. In the past when if felled trees the penalty for failure has really been none. You can't tell from the picture but the tree is leaning towards the back of the house but also sort of parallel to it.

My game plan was do this early in the morning before there is any breeze, attach a tag line a good ways up and run it through a 2 to 1 to another tree so as to really be able to put some tension on the tree. My goal would be to put the tree to the right of the palm tree. Obviously the fence will be getting disassembled.

IMG_0128.JPG

Save yourself a lot of headache (maybe quite literally). See how much it would be to have a somebody just knock the top out of that for you and then let you take care of the rest and the cleanup. I bet it won't be much...

Thank you, and I think that is probably pretty sound advice. I'll call a pro and see what it costs to have it topped and I'll finish it off. If it's a couple hundred bucks to avoid the thing going on my roof that's a steal. Sometimes I tend to think I can do more than I can and in this case I just don't have the tools or expertise for the job, and the penalty for failure is steep.

Thank you, and I think that is probably pretty sound advice. I'll call a pro and see what it costs to have it topped and I'll finish it off. If it's a couple hundred bucks to avoid the thing going on my roof that's a steal. Sometimes I tend to think I can do more than I can and in this case I just don't have the tools or expertise for the job, and the penalty for failure is steep.
Yes should be cheap looks like pole saw could top even.

I'm still trying to figure out how over grown that palm and oak was to hide that dead tree, that's taller then the rest and not really near the others... lol

looks like ash to me, kidding we don't got those warm weather trees here... one of the 5k different eucalyptus? Or Is that only a cali thing?

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

I'm still trying to figure out how over grown that palm and oak was to hide that dead tree, that's taller then the rest and not really near the others... lol

looks like ash to me, kidding we don't got those warm weather trees here... one of the 5k different eucalyptus? Or Is that only a cali thing?

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

I should have taken before and after pictures but the oak looked as though it had never been trimmed, ever. I found no signs of where anyone had ever taken a saw to it. Branches were literally touching the ground. There are also two other oaks to the right of the big one that were blocking the dead tree as well. The palm was also way over grown. Basically between the three oaks and the palm, the top of the dead tree was completely obscured from view from my side of the yard.

My neighbors saw me out trimming the trees and said they were worried a couple months ago when a bad storm blew through it was going to land on our house. I wish they would have let me know... thankfully it hasn't yet.

Also, there are tons of trees and other flora/fauna in Florida they are non native, especially in older neighborhoods like mine. I took out one of the Brazilian Pepper trees in the front and I have two more to take out in the back.

I thought someone had posted a link earlier saying that it was a sweet shade, and they do look very similar but I thought this one looked a little different with all of its branches so close to the top.

Latest posts

Back