Remove paint and rust ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MS460WOODCHUCK

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
What does everyone use to remove the paint on a saw if they are going to restore one? Also what do ya use to remove rust?

You can get one of these at Harbor Freight.
attachment.php

I picked up mine there for 108.00 plus tax with a 20% off coupon.
You can google Harbor frieght coupons and print out your own 20% off coupon.

:cheers:

Is'nt there a chemical you could soak the parts in to remove paint and another chemical to remove rust from old metals.

Airplane paint stripper will remove paint from old magnesium saws, furniture stripper will also. Wash the part thoroughly with hot soapy water to remove all grease and contaminates, apply a good thick layer of paint stripper and let it work for 15-20 mins, heating the part up to 200F before applying the stripper will make it work faster. I blast off the rust on steel parts in a blast cabinet, if they are flat like chain bars then a belt sander works well.
Pioneerguy600

For rust removal I use naval jelly or an even more toxic mixture like naval jelly and acetone. If it's thick, flaky rust, then it goes in the blast cabinet.

For paint stripper, I use that TAP aerosol paint stripper. It is very nasty and toxic stuff. It's a similar formula to the airplane paint stripper Jerry mentioned and quite effective. Oven cleaner works well in some applications also. Do not get the scented oven cleaner or the "low-fume" version. Get the full-strength old school chemicals.

For rust removal I use naval jelly or an even more toxic mixture like naval jelly and acetone. If it's thick, flaky rust, then it goes in the blast cabinet.

For paint stripper, I use that TAP aerosol paint stripper. It is very nasty and toxic stuff. It's a similar formula to the airplane paint stripper Jerry mentioned and quite effective. Oven cleaner works well in some applications also. Do not get the scented oven cleaner or the "low-fume" version. Get the full-strength old school chemicals.

Mr. Muscle is the best oven cleaner for removing paint. Ace has it.

Jack

Some of the autobody shops use a product called TAL paint stripper, it will remove automotive types of paint, I use it mostly to remove carbon deposits on pistons,valves and cylinder heads. Very nasty stuff so follow all safety instructions on the label if you use this type of stuff.
Pioneerguy600

Muratic acid works great to remove rust, as well as transfered aluminum in the bore. Just watch out for the fumes! I use a wire brush on bolts and the like. I sometimes us a sandblaster on mufflers. Just make sure you get it good and clean before putting it back into service. Carb cleaner with Methylene Chloride works great for removing paint:)

Aircraft paint stripper for large areas.

Berryman's B-12 carb cleaner for small parts.

Bead blast everything afterward, clean with denatured alcohol, dry and paint.

Rust: eagle 1 mag etching cleaner. It's acidic and has a bit of HF in it. Spray on, wash off 30 seconds later. Available @ auto stores.
or
submerse in 25%white vinigar/water overnight. Works like a charm on traps.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back