Removing large trunk

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Whew...you need to learn how to cut a large trunk with an undersized bar...there are several techinques, 'fishtailing' out the centre of the tree by boring though the middle of the hinge, boring in from either side, walking the saw from one side to the other, using wedges as you go...thing is these are advanced techniques that need practice first. Type of tree matters too...some timber is real hard and dense, will affect which sequence of cuts to choose.

Get on the net and start your research.
20" 60cc is my biggest saw and I can easily take out trunks almost up to 3x the length of the bar without 'apple coring'!!! These are few and far between, so having a monster bar doesn't make sense for me...or I can borrow one.
You don't necessarily need a big bar, you just need to know how to use a smaller one to your advantage. Cost effectiveness is key...got LOTS of big trees maybe its more cost effective to get a big saw, only have a few, use a good smaller saw effectively and use the money somewhere else...

Once that puppy is on the ground, get a crane truck and cut it as few times as possible, load it up and off you go, otherwise you'll be there forEVER!

Whew...you need to learn how to cut a large trunk with an undersized bar...

Dangit Bermie! We KNOW that YOU (and some others on here) can do it with a 20. We're talking about a relative newbie. If someone asks about "apple coring", then odds are he's not got any idea how to "fishtail" or do any other advanced technique. My concern is for the safety and the risk management. The larger saw and longer bar remove several risk factors (ok... yes I know they add other risks... ).

i just don't want to be reading about the OP in the Injuries forrum.

Dangit Bermie! We KNOW that YOU (and some others on here) can do it with a 20. We're talking about a relative newbie. If someone asks about "apple coring", then odds are he's not got any idea how to "fishtail" or do any other advanced technique. My concern is for the safety and the risk management. The larger saw and longer bar remove several risk factors (ok... yes I know they add other risks... ).

i just don't want to be reading about the OP in the Injuries forrum.

Dang it, smack me down!! Ok point taken, but at least letting him know that there are alternatives to his apple core technique that he could begin to look into might start to broaden his skill set.

So ok, a bigger saw, one cut would probably be safer for this project this time, get some PPE and let 'er rip.

Have a :cheers: FatGuy

I have noticed that Bermie gets a bit thin skinned every time we start talking about needing longer bars.

I wonder if she is just trying to educate all the guys that size doesn't matter; it is using the right technique that gets the job done...

Last edited:
If your removing a tree of that size you should be getting a few grand. Put $1,000 into a MS660 or 460 Mag. It will pay for itself many times over in your career. Besides it isn't any fun cutting a tree that size with a 20" bar. Have some fun get a big saw. I love the looks when I pull out the 880 with 36" Cannon Superbar. One Bad AZZ SAW!!!!

Go with a 460 mag I think you'll get much more use out of it then a 660. I have a 385 with a 28" bar thats my biggest saw, never did a tree that I couldn't get through with that. I cut a 6' dia cottonwood trunk with it before. Takes some skill to make your cuts right but it works.

I don't care what size the tree is you give a 25" on a 066 and I will cut any tree into tooth picks if you want , the problem is people let big wood scare them , its all just saw chips to me

I have noticed that Bermie gets a bit thin skinned every time we start talking about needing longer bars.

I wonder if she is just trying to educate all the guys that size doesn't matter; it is using the right technique that gets the job done...

Oh man, you figured out the code...BUSTED!!!

Really though, sorry if I sound like a broken record...:dizzy:

Actually, I just saw a good opportunity to be a wise-ass.

I thought about commenting that since we all knew that you proudly declared that you didn't have a big bar and didn't need one, so you couldn't appreciate how fun they are to use, nor how much easier it is to get the job done when you are working with a more capable tool.

Fortunately, I restrained myself, as I have too much integrity to pass along suggestive and salacious comments like that.
a-wink.gif

Last edited:
No worries...if I can't handle it in a forum swimming in testosterone I don't deserve to be a tree girl!

AS for bigger bars, the returns diminish quickly for me as I am so small, it becomes a bit difficult to handle them efficiently...but here's a pic for you all...

Sorry for the derail....:chainsaw:

Nice saw Bermie!

I was able to use an 880 for the first time a month or so back on a large Oak removal. Up to that point the 660 was the biggest I had used. I hear you on diminished returns. I want to be able to use the most adequate saw for the task at hand. I surely wouldn't want to be having to wield that 880 on a regular basis all day long. Not easy to notch with it because it is so heavy (especially with the 5' bar). Hard to cut a level notch. Great saw to have when you need it though.

Remind me to tell you about the job I did where I took down a 6' DBH cotton wood, cut it into rounds and rolled them through the gate from the back yard to the front to load them with a small echo climbing saw and two 029's with 18" bars. The tree sprawled over two homes. Man, it took us a week to finish that job. Me and one other guy. It was one of the first large removals I tried to do on my own... On second thought, don't remind me to tell you about it... I'm still trying to forget that one.

That can't be Bermie in the picture.

1. That saw is too new. If it was her saw, it would be well used. The paint on the bar would be at least a little bit scuffed up.
2. She lives in BERMUDA. It's too warm to dress like that down there. Do you even own any sweat suits like that?

It does look like her hard hat though... Where did you do the 880 demo at ?

That can't be Bermie in the picture.

1. That saw is too new. If it was her saw, it would be well used. The paint on the bar would be at least a little bit scuffed up.
2. She lives in BERMUDA. It's too warm to dress like that down there. Do you even own any sweat suits like that?

It does look like her hard hat though... Where did you do the 880 demo at ?

Ya mon, that's me!

1. Yes it was a brand new saw...Ha, I wish it was mine...
2. Bermuda in the winter is cold...well cold to us, fleece is good...I have many

That's my old hat...five years ago, its now the groundies loaner...that was in England, recert at the College...in November! Hence the fleecies and the chainsaw pants...:cheers:

Got er done

Got a bigger saw. All done.

Thanks for those comments that were helpful and actually pertained to my question. The rest of you should be out working instead of putting down newbies who are trying to learn in the 101 section. If some of you spent as much time working and learning as you did judging others, you would be happier people I'm sure. You *experts* can't even agree amongst yourselves on proper technique or tools, because there are many ways to skin every cat.

Now if you'll excuse me, I've got work to do. Lots and lots of work.

Got a bigger saw. All done.

Thanks for those comments that were helpful and actually pertained to my question. The rest of you should be out working instead of putting down newbies who are trying to learn in the 101 section. If some of you spent as much time working and learning as you did judging others, you would be happier people I'm sure. You *experts* can't even agree amongst yourselves on proper technique or tools, because there are many ways to skin every cat.

Now if you'll excuse me, I've got work to do. Lots and lots of work.

Good! But whats with the secrecy? What did you get? We need TO KNOW!!!!!

Haha

Back