removing the cylinder from a chainsaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Plasmech

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
At first I was going to type "cylinder head" but I guess that would not be the right description. Anyway, I want to pop the "head" on my CS-351 VL and take a look/see. Will I likely run into a ridge of crud that the piston rings formed that will prevent me from getting it all the way out? If so, how is this dealt with? While I have her apart, should I hone and re-ring? Will I need a ring compressor or will a worm drive hose clamp do the trick? Thanks for all the help guys.

At first I was going to type "cylinder head" but I guess that would not be the right description. Anyway, I want to pop the "head" on my CS-351 VL and take a look/see. Will I likely run into a ridge of crud that the piston rings formed that will prevent me from getting it all the way out? If so, how is this dealt with? While I have her apart, should I hone and re-ring? Will I need a ring compressor or will a worm drive hose clamp do the trick? Thanks for all the help guys.

Just pull the muffler and the spark plug, that'll probably tell you what you need to know.

should slide right off, no if it has good compression there shold be no need to do the rigs or honing. ring compressor work better clamps, by the clamp will also work.

why are you taking it apart if it works? do you want ir to not work?

If you do end up taking it off for some reason...get the clamp kit. I just put my 1st top end back together. I just used the clamp kit 10 minutes ago. Slicker'n snot. Best $5 I've spent in a long time. :clap:

If you have trouble pulling a jug cause of a lip, remove the jug up far as you can then remove the cir-clip and pull the wrist pin to remove the piston still in the jug. done it many atime on dirt bikes. far as tools they are great if you can justify them meaning use them a lot. typically you can use your fingers for such small pistons and jug having skirts with the ring notched out like they are, line the notch up w/mark on piston, slide the jug over!!

If you do end up taking it off for some reason...get the clamp kit. I just put my 1st top end back together. I just used the clamp kit 10 minutes ago. Slicker'n snot. Best $5 I've spent in a long time. :clap:

What/where is the clamp kit?

Also is there something to take that built-up rim of crud off?

ive not found a ring of crud so called before. and i did at one point take my saws all apart to see what the inside looked like. and i put them back together with just my fingers the rings squeeze closed easy enough.

If you have trouble pulling a jug cause of a lip, remove the jug up far as you can then remove the cir-clip and pull the wrist pin to remove the piston still in the jug. done it many atime on dirt bikes. far as tools they are great if you can justify them meaning use them a lot. typically you can use your fingers for such small pistons and jug having skirts with the ring notched out like they are, line the notch up w/mark on piston, slide the jug over!!

deer slayer.. I've done that too on snowmobiles, chainsaws, and other engines that the piston is put in from the bottom....

What/where is the clamp kit?

Also is there something to take that built-up rim of crud off?

Plasmech....

Are you thinking about the ridge that is left on to of the cylinders on auto engines? You shouldn't have a ridge on a saw.

Dan

Dont ever twist the cylinder taking it off; pull straight up. Same thing with putting it back on. Make sure your piston and rings gaps are in the right spot and shove it staight on or you will wind up with ring ends popped off locating pins and out into transfer ports and no way to get them in or out without breaking rings and possibly damaging piston or cylinder.

Back