Repairing a flawed axe design

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

7sleeper

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I know my projects are not as elaborate as most being presented here, but I will still try to show some of my ideas.

I bought at a local grocery chain this splitting axe for 12€ ~ 16$. I don't really need a splitting axe that often so I have been reluctant to buy a Fiskars for ~ 70€ ~ 90$.

What suprised me was the rather unexpected quality it presented. Hickory wood, not glued but nailed etc. Still far from Fiskars but still quite nice for 15$!
P1010167.jpg

I took it with me to my FIL to split some walnut rounds I cut up last year. I didn't take my Hult Bruks with me. That was a mistake! What a disappointment! It was so blunt at the cutting edge that it would just bounce off. Luckily my FIL had a small disc grinder so I ground it down enough that it would at least work. I don't have a picture of before but I drew the lines so that you at least get the idea.

P1010148_pregrind.jpg

It worked more or less (more less actually) but I was in a hurry so I had to live with it. Man was I sore the next day! At home I have one of the small Fiskars so I new the secret of their success. It lies in the sleek cutting edge. Hello angle grinder and the sparks went flying.
One side finished.

P1010153_closeup.jpg

The other side finished.

P1010156.jpg

It finally cuts now. It has enough momentum to penetrate the wood and begin in the wood it's splitting job.

P1010162.jpg

Don't be afraid to remodel tools if their design is flawed.

I have one that was Givin to my by a neighbor that is "Almost" exactly like yours, only differance is mine has a Plastic Handle. I have sharpened mine also, but not enough to replicate the fiskars contour. That would be Alot of Grinding :) Theirs Is Special.

Nice work , I always thought a fiskars whould look better with a wood handle. Rep sent for thinking outside the box.

Beefie

I have one that was Givin to my by a neighbor that is "Almost" exactly like yours, only differance is mine has a Plastic Handle. I have sharpened mine also, but not enough to replicate the fiskars contour. That would be Alot of Grinding :) Theirs Is Special.

Don't worry. Total grinding time was like 10-15min for both sides with the angle grinder and abrasive wheel. With the constant checking of both sides total time was like 1/2 hr. It is important to grind the sides to make the whole contur sleeker and not only sharpen it!
Now the important part. It chop's now like a whole different animal! I believe it would be foolish to not invest the 1/2hr and nock around with an unsatisfactory tool.
Hope yours works out just as well.

Good luck,

If you could re-attach those pictures, that would be great!!

I am curious to see what you did.

Back