Repairing chains

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TreePointer

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a broken Stihl chain that I think should be an easy repair. It's 3/8" .050 (33RSC-20) that's missing a cutter link and the associated tie strap and the two rivets. It hasn't been used much--hand sharpened maybe 7-8 times.

One Stihl shop near me doesn't do a good job spinning chains and the other shop told me today that they don't do chain repairs. I do pretty well with workbench/shop tasks, so should I just get a spinner and breaker and do my own repairs (and future spinning)? Does putting new pieces on used chain create problems? Are Stihl chain parts easy to get from a dealer?

I repair chains all the time,provided they are in good shape. Start doing your own,buy a roll a chain and breaker and spinner.

I do pretty well with workbench/shop tasks, so should I just get a spinner and breaker and do my own repairs (and future spinning)?
Sure.

Does putting new pieces on used chain create problems?
Not usually if the chain is not too worn out. BUT have you worked out why the chain broke in the first place? I'd want to know why before I re-sused the chain. eg how does the sprocket look? Have a very close look at the chain with a magnifying glass to see there are no other problems with the chain.

Are Stihl chain parts easy to get from a dealer?
Should be. Just be confident about what you are asking for and maybe don't just buy one, buy half a dozen as they are only cents each. I'd also consider replacing the pieces either side of the break as well as they could be overly stressed.

I do pretty well with workbench/shop tasks, so should I just get a spinner and breaker and do my own repairs (and future spinning)? Does putting new pieces on used chain create problems? Are Stihl chain parts easy to get from a dealer?

I found out once you have a breaker and spinner and the word gets out you will be getting everyones broken chains to have fixed. So far all the chains I have gotten are Oregon and Carlton, so I order new links, presets and tie straps from Baileys.

Stihl chain parts are different than Oregon, Carlton etc. If there is any appreciable wear in the chain rail bottoms you will have to file the bottom of the tie strap and new cutter to match or the chain will have a tight spot as it goes around that might not be the best thing for your system.

I have had two break.

I just take them back, point out the lack of wear and abuse, and they replaced the one that was damaged like yours, and repaired the other one.

Using Stihl chain, and their bar oil, and little enough wear that hand sharpening has kept them running fine, they do not put up any resistance.

Latest posts

Back