Repairing Ignition Coils & Modules ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PaulRogerNilsson

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hallåja Arborist Site dot company

Soo ive been fiddeling around with some orange saws as usual and now im low on projects becsuse im at a wall to break through .

Well i bought three 44&444sg saws this winter to have as projects its going as usual i might add , if its not the cylinders thats a big issue there are the Ignition Coils and Lack of modules (now ive seen loads of modules today to buy so i wont mention them as much ) .

But the SEM&Phelon ignition coils Have anyone even bothered to open them up and fix the wiring in them ? Ive got 2 of them just laying and wont work im not going to buy stock new Sem coils thats just insane to pay 120-180$ for a new one . There must be some way to open them up and "dig out" the insides and go through them and components ?

Id really like to get the phelon work just because ive never used a phelon coil for a saw in 40cc range and mostly because its a "warmweather" saw for me that sounds more realistic than mounting a Chinese coil for a 55 with a module chip .

Im open for ideas and ive got a Dremel and bits and other tools voltmeter and such .

Regards Paul-Roger

Attachments

• pro-PM3oAQdi.jpeg
    pro-PM3oAQdi.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • pro-ZO6ZDSFu.jpeg
    pro-ZO6ZDSFu.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20240323_142939_167.jpg
    IMG_20240323_142939_167.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Not likely your are going to be able to get to the components inside the electrical potting material without destroying them.

Plus if you did manage to repair, then you would need to re-pott/ re-seal the unit.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potting_(electronics)
Hello Chevboy
Yep my thoughts are going to that also that its easy to cut them with the bitheads .
It should do fine with some epoxy and a layer of blocking material .
Thanks for the input il look it up .
Regards Paul-Roger Nilsson -Sweden

secondary wire in an ignition coil is thinner than human hair. I would give up before starting.
Hello Meister
Hmm now that sound abit amazing to my ears&eyes cant imagine that they would have used that thin of a wire to build up the coil .
Ive been a tattooist since 2008(third profession ) and the coils on our tattoo machines that are finer in size and lighter dont go under 0.4mm in wire thickness so i really cant imagine that the staff on phelon&Sem would have used that thin wire as a hair it doesnt make sense .

I actually got the hva 50-55 coil to work in the 444sg/se with the generator but in the 44its a dead fish in sea without the ignition module .
A bit sad not to use original components but Hey 14$ is way more cost effective than 120-180$ for a new SEM ignition coil .

Its Amazing that people remove those modules and sell the saw here in Sweden sellers have their own agenda apparently .
Found some advice on diy some modules instead .
Thanks for the input .

Regards Paul-Roger Nilsson - Sweden

Attachments

• IMG_20240324_091129_562.jpg
    IMG_20240324_091129_562.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Yep i understand how they are made , in practise their really similar to Tomas Edisons patent on the Doorbell- tattoomachine frames back in the 1800s .

Thanks for the pictures ive seen some of them , it isnt that hard creating a magnet and i will Definitely open atleast the blue SEM coil up and take a peak .

Im having my head in a an atom diy module scheme , i think il have a problem with creating them in a small scale but still i will give it a try when i find the bits and pieces on the web .
I seem to find larger quantitys of the components and i dont want to be sitting on 800bits of some other type of transistors so il have to scour the web a bit more .

It should be a built in transistor/trigger in the module for the blue SEM coil so i gues il order some more epoxy and fiberglassfiber to recreate the housing .

Thanks for the ideas .

Regards Paul-Roger

find a way to do Yep i understand how they are made , in practise their really similar to Tomas Edisons patent on the Doorbell- tattoomachine frames back in the 1800s .

Thanks for the pictures ive seen some of them , it isnt that hard creating a magnet and i will Definitely open atleast the blue SEM coil up and take a peak .

Im having my head in a an atom diy module scheme , i think il have a problem with creating them in a small scale but still i will give it a try when i find the bits and pieces on the web .
I seem to find larger quantitys of the components and i dont want to be sitting on 800bits of some other type of transistors so il have to scour the web a bit more .

It should be a built in transistor/trigger in the module for the blue SEM coil so i gues il order some more epoxy and fiberglassfiber to recreate the housing .

Thanks for the ideas .

Regards Paul-Roger
We're hoping you find a way to do this, Paul-Roger. It could be a way to resuscitate coils that are no longer available.

It's not rocket science going on inside the coils, it's a cost/time factor issue. Ie not worth the time or investment. Till you're done screwing around that $200.00 coil is cheap even if you're time Is "free." Which it isn't.

An example secondary winding i found on the net has 20,000 turns of wire 1/16 mm in diameter. Now for secondary failure if any two adjacent turns short together its game over. Or if there is break in some point in the 20,000 turns also done.

Finding the location of either of these would be nearly impossible. But if you do find the location, say on turn 15423 you have to unwind all that off , make the repair and rewind using spotlessly clean wire. Did unwound wire touch the floor or bench? no good.

Back