replace muffler on stihl 031AV

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richgvt

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I bought a new muffler on ebay but not sure what I need to remove to access the two bolts under the cover. Can someone direct me to a site or explain it?
Thanks

You need to remove the whole anti vibe handle assembly. Also there is a C clip that you have to remove on the throttle linkage to remove the whole handle assembly. There are 7 total screws you need to remove to take the handle ass. off. Then you can get to the allen bolts that hold the muffler on. Let me know if you have any problem. I have my 031 apart waiting on new anti vibe mounts to come in. I can take pics of what I'm talking about. But it will be later tonight.

Thats what I feared. Wasn't sure about the linkage. Do you have to remove the gas line from the gas tank?

No the gas tank is located on the pullstart assembly. You don't have to take the pull start assembly off. I will snap some pics tonight and post them up. Its really simple.

picture.php
:)

I got it. Thanks for the help. I did not see the screw behind the carb. I noticed the bushing where the top of the hndle attaches is broken. Hope I can find one. Thanks again.

I replaced the muffler on my 031AV without removing anything other than the muffler. I was able to get the hex key in there without any problems.

When I tore it down last week to give it a good cleaning and see why it wouldn't start for me, removing the entire handle assembly would make getting to it easier, but not when you add in all the work to take the rest apart.

I replaced the muffler on my 031AV without removing anything other than the muffler. I was able to get the hex key in there without any problems.

When I tore it down last week to give it a good cleaning and see why it wouldn't start for me, removing the entire handle assembly would make getting to it easier, but not when you add in all the work to take the rest apart.

Yours must have the access holes in the cover for the bolts,not all do.

On my 032 (a very similar design), I would not be able to reach the top muffler bolts without removing the whole orange handle (unfortunately). I could be wrong, but I don't think I'd be able to sneak a wrench under the handle, but above the hump on the top of the muffler. But, of course, I never tried it, maybe it would have fit.

When you say the bushing is broken where the top of the handle attaches, do you mean the rubber AV mount? If those, those are available (eBay, and other stores, like www.norwalkpower.net).

Stihl 031 mount

I'm not sure what the rubber mount that holds the top of the handle to the housing is supposed to look like but mine is in two pieces. It is wobbly in that area. I could use the saw but I will replace it asap. When I take it apart next time I will get some loctite. It looked like there was some on the bolts originally. Thanks for all the advice.

This is what mine looks like, I just took it off today. It should be 1 piece, but it should not be hard to find a replacement. For what it's worth, the part number for mine (not sure if it's identical to yours) is 1113 790 9901.

LOL I actually just got the pics. But forgot to take a pic of the screws behind the carb.:dizzy:
Oh well atleast you figured out how to get to the exhaust.

Latest posts

Back