Replacement Engine For Older Huskee 22 Ton Log Splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have always been pretty successful finding used rams. Building new ones makes no sense unless some exceptional problem comes up. I have been able to collect at least six 4'' to 6" 24'' to 32'' just in case. Thanks

11 gallon and 13 gallon pumps usually have the same size small gear for the low flow side so you can run either pump on the same engine. Just set the unloading pressure a little bit lower with the larger pump but the final high pressure relief valve setting can be the same because the small section is the same displacement

I am sorry, but I have to call Bullspit on 3000 hours on an off the shelf splash lubricated Briggs & Stratton aluminum engine B&S pos engine. They are rated for 100-200 running hours. Many people are doing well if they get 3000 hours out of a commercial Kawasaki full pressure oiling and oil filter with super duty air filtration. . . perhaps could you be off by 2300-2500 hours?
I had an 11hp "cast iron" briggs on my first splitter with an hour meter. It did not make 1000 hours with regular oil changes. . . started smoking like a chimney. . . briggs wanted $200-$300 for rebuild parts. . .lol
Well I'm here now looking at this page because I figure it's time to buy a new engine.. mine is the same kind as the original post: Huskee 22ton 650 series B.Stratton 190cc.. well I can say that engine has survived more abuse than any engine I've ever seen, splits 25 cord for last 9yrs and before that when it was my step-dad's it split prob 7-10 for another 11-12yrs.. sat outside always uncovered, never had the oil changed, and often forced to split wood way too big/tough (think like 33" round white Oak with a branch intersection) and yet it still runs! Only reason I wanna replace it is that the engine shroud has rusted off and that holds the oil fill and starter so it's harder to start cause I gotta wrap the cord around the top and dangerous because of the exposed spinning flywheel and I got a makeshift plug to stop the oil from coming out.. it was already badly rusted and beat up when given to me so it's not entirely my fault that it's in such a bad way.. but to say that these engines are a POS/Crap engine is contradicted by my experience! That thing sat outside last winter uncovered with E-10 gas in it and it still started on the very 1st pull! Typical for that engine.. 1-2 and it's going never a issue at all

I had a 650? Briggs on my Speeco wood stlitter for 9 yrs. never changed the oil , but had to replace a carb. One day i decided to just let the engine run the gas tank dry.. I come back a few hrs. later and it's all burned up.. Thankfully , it didnt catch the 5 cords of wood on fire. The small engine shop said it very likely had a mouse nest and it got hot enough to catch on fire. Or, perhaps it back fired when running out of gas. Not sure. My next engine is a Briggs Everstart. 190cc. I dont care for it. It started blowing ail real bad after 4 yrs. Then would not start. I took the engine off and then it starts. I drained the gas , and changed the oil and it runs fine now. The manual sais never have to change oil but we all know that is BS.. The oil wasnt dirty but figured it might be thin enough to blow by the rings. One poster here said oil got in the carb. Not sure, but I have 150? hrs . on it.

Well today I bought the Harbor Freight 212cc Predator Engine was $50/off sale for the next 5days so I got out the door for $109.. trying to piece all the parts together I'll need before doing the installation, I bought a
3-piece L075 series coupling set: includes two coupling halves and an NBR rubber insert.
1/2" bore with 1/8" keyway and set screw on one coupling half.
3/4" bore with 3/16" keyway and set screw on the matching coupling half.
It was $24 on Amazon.. (hopefully it's at least the right one and maybe the original one will even work) also bought a Hydraulic wood splitter pump mount bracket for $22 with the Engine side holes - 3-9/16" bolt circle (4 hole pattern) or 2-1/2" center to center hole measured horizontally or vertically (square). Pump side holes - 2-3/4" bolt circle (4 hole pattern) or 2" center hole to center hole distance.. says for Huskee 22 ton so again hopefully I'm ready to go.. couldn't find the bolt hole size for the original pump which I'm going to try to use but the 2-3/4" bolt circle seems to be pretty much the rule with replacement pumps, so if it doesn't work maybe I'll just upgrade to a 13gpm or 16gpm pump that I know uses that size bolt circle.
Any input will be appreciated, will update after work is done, parts are installed to help others in the future the way this type threads have helped me

Hello everyone. I've done a bunch of searches not only here but also general google searches trying to get some certainty on this to no avail. I've got a Husky (Speeco) 22 ton log splitter with a Briggs 650 Series 190CC engine (Model 124T02-0121-B1) on it. After 7-8 years and many many hours of service it's time to replace it. I went for a search and of course that engine is not more. I'm fairly mechanically capable but I have never replaced an engine before and was hoping to find an exact match so I could pretty much 'plug and play' but am having a LOT of trouble understanding what I need to purchase. Does anyone know if the Briggs 675 series would be a match for the shaft and bolt pattern? If not is anyone familiar with this swap and what I should be looking for. What a disappointment this was today when I tried to get it going. Thank you in advance for any help you can provide.
Need help to find a replacement motor for my 22 ton husky splitter. 675 e series Anyone replaced motor without having to do crazy altercations? Any links I could get for a motor ? Only know how to replace . Can't alter , and don't know motors

Need help to find a replacement motor for my 22 ton husky splitter. 675 e series Anyone replaced motor without having to do crazy altercations? Any links I could get for a motor ? Only know how to replace . Can't alter , and don't know motors
Yes, I burned up my Briggs 675. I let the engine run the gas out and I came back and it was all burned up. I got a new exact replacement for it and it just bolted on. It is a Briggs Everstart 190CC? You need to get the vertical heavy duty shaft for a log splitter ... The shaft size is 3 11/16" . A good small engine shop will know what I am talking about.. It was expensive though,, about $425 with tax. I am not sure I like the engine neither. It has no shut off switch , no governor for engine RPM's . It does not have an oil drain plug cause they say it never needs an oil change . I changed it anyway . The oil after 4 yrs. got so thin it got through the rings, ( I think) cause it would start burning clouds of smoke.. and then was hard to start. New oil did the trick and about 12 hrs. later it still does not puff smoke.

Latest posts

Back