Replacement for 028 WB

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ktb973

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey guys I am a first time poster but have been looking at the site for awhile now. Lot's of great information! Most of my questions answered without any posts. I already posted this in another part of the forum. I just didn't see this part down here. I always navigated before through the search.

I have a 028 WB that my dad gave me. We haven't really run the saw in years. I put a new fuel line and throttle spring on it and it started right up and runs pretty good. Still having some idle issues and the oiler isnt working right just yet but, I'm in the process of cleaning the saw from top to bottom and hopefully that will resolve those issues. The one issue that isn't going to get resolved by cleaning it is that I can hear the main bearings as I'm running it. So my plan is to run it til she locks up and go trade for another saw. My local dealer will give me $35 bucks for any saw that I bring in.

My question is, what saw does Stihl make that is comparable to the old WB in specs and durability? For what I am planning to do, which is cut about half my firewood each year for my wood insert, it is a perfect sized saw. It seems to me, that at 45cc and 3.0 bhp, the MS 250 have about the same specs as the WB. I also like the 10 lb weight. The new 280s are nice, have more power, and are only a little over a pound more, but geez are they pricey!! I like the 290s and the price is right, but they are quite a bit heavier. 3 lbs doesn't sound like much until you've carried one around all day. Is there going to be much difference in durability in these saws? By the way, Stihl is really the only saw that I'm looking at. That's what all the dealers around here service.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

How much would do you normally cut per year? I think an 025 would probably work well and the price and weight are very respectable. As far as durability is concerned it will hold up just fine for your woodcutting duties. You may also want to sell your 028WB privately (either on here, craigslist, or ebay) and you will probably get a fair amount more than the $35 your local dealer is paying.

The MS250 is listed on the Stihl website as the largest saw in their "Occasional Use" line of saws. I interpret this as being a light duty saw that is available for people to cut up the downed tree or limb in their yard and are not designed for cutting firewood on a regular basis. The people on this site that own this saw can report on how well it would work for cutting firewood on a regular basis - I do believe that there are a lot of people on this site that use these saws a lot more than just "occasionally".

The MS270 is only about $ 50 more and is the smallest saw in the Mid-Range user category, it is 3.4 HP and 11.7 pounds and may be a better choice for cutting firewood. The next step up to the MS290 does add weight and gets a little more HP - but they are not much additional cost.

If you are comfortable with a used saw - there are an awful lot of MS260 or 026 saws that can be purchased for about $ 300 that are in great condition and this will get you up to a "professional" grade saw. There has been an 026 in the Trading Post for several weeks now that is $ 275 and appears to be a very nice saw - you will have to go back several pages to find it.

Last edited:
Make sure your flywheel and you clutch are tight.Check your clutch bearing is in good shape.Very rarely does an 028 have main bearing failure.

Make sure your flywheel and you clutch are tight.Check your clutch bearing is in good shape.Very rarely does an 028 have main bearing failure.

might be only a 10 dollar clutch bearing?

Depends on what your hear. Might be a slappy piston, and can run for years like that.

Why do you think it's a bearing?

I have an 026 that was flat just wore out. I bought a MS280 to replace it. more hp, but the extra 3/4 lb was very noticeable to me, especially limbing.
So I bought all the parts and rebuilt the 026. Small motor, but runs a 20 inch fine as long as you keep the chain top shape. It will cut faster than most of the 'farm boss' saws around here and muchlighter.
I cut about 16 to 20 inch diameter max mostly and for me the weight is more important than the extra power.

kcj

How much would do you normally cut per year? I think an 025 would probably work well and the price and weight are very respectable. As far as durability is concerned it will hold up just fine for your woodcutting duties. You may also want to sell your 028WB privately (either on here, craigslist, or ebay) and you will probably get a fair amount more than the $35 your local dealer is paying.

I GUARANTEE you will get more than 35$ on this site for that old 028, cuz Id pay it right now. Please dont trade that saw in for that little amount of money. Im still trying to get mine fixed solely because of the reputation of the 028.

Between the 250 and the 290 (I have both) the 290 is hands down the better saw. The 290 runs real 3/8 size B&C, adjustable oiler, runs a larger bar (20" full comp no problem), cuts better and faster, and in my view there is no comparison. Both are plastic, but the one is far more usable than the other. Yah, it weighs more, but it also has 27% more HP (more with an very easy muffler mod). You can fell and buck 24" size trees with the 290. You can fell small trees and limb with the 250, and try bucking with it all day. It will take you a lot longer.

I do not know much about the 270/280 models. Used a 280 once, was not that impressed for what it costs. Far better to get a near new pro saw for that kind of money, like a used 361. Yah. A 361.

What you really need is a 361!!! :spam: The stickey answer on AS for anyone postsing a "What saw should I buy?" thread.

Maybe I just like the older saws more than I should, but if the saw is in good shape otherwise, why not fix it up? Bearings, piston/rings/hone, fix the oiler up, replace bad A/V bushings, and you'd be good to go with a classic firewood saw. Assuming that your dealer doesn't charge an arm and a leg for service, you could be like new for half the cost of an MS280.

I have been keeping my eye on THIS LITTLE BEAUTY for a week thinkin it would be a nice addition to my collection. (hey if ya got a 028 ya surely need the "SUPER" version, right?)

WOW.... I hope my heirs are smart enough to put all my Stihl's on e bay!!!!

Like a few have said...I haven't ever heard much with bearing failure on the 028 or its big brother the 038.

Keeping your saw
If the weight doesn't bother you much and want to get move up in the power dept....just upgrade your p&c to an 46mm super p&c if your bearings check out. You also could just freshen up your saw a bit by installing a new stock piston in it which would be fairly inexpensive.

Going the new saw route
If your happy with the performance of your saw and want a lighter saw that will perform near par with it I'd buy the MS250.

I don't know the specs off hand...but I would guess the 029/ms290 weighs even more than your 028WB, but you would be improving in the power dept. The good thing about the MS290 is you could use the same bars and chains you have for the 028.

IMO both the MS250/MS290 are economical saws that work real well for their intended purpose.

the 028 is one of the great stihl saws along with the 026 and 024. The noise you are hearing does not suprise me. couple of quick check (crank bearings ruled out unless it was rebuilt and the new bearings was not pressed on the crank or hsg.) the sprocket on those models use a large needle cage bearing I have had those fail and the noise I hear would be the sprocket contacting the plactic cover of the oil pump. If possible have the saw pressure and vac tested to make sure it is air tight any work done to a saw is wasted if it is sucking air........quick note I dont know if it still applies today with stihl but an even number saw was always considered a pro these saws was built different in everyway from the odd numbers 028 vs 025

the 028 is one of the great stihl saws along with the 026 and 024. The noise you are hearing does not suprise me. couple of quick check (crank bearings ruled out unless it was rebuilt and the new bearings was not pressed on the crank or hsg.) the sprocket on those models use a large needle cage bearing I have had those fail and the noise I hear would be the sprocket contacting the plactic cover of the oil pump. If possible have the saw pressure and vac tested to make sure it is air tight any work done to a saw is wasted if it is sucking air........quick note I dont know if it still applies today with stihl but an even number saw was always considered a pro these saws was built different in everyway from the odd numbers 028 vs 025
Yes the even vs odd thing was a rule of thumb at one time...but that doesn't hold true anymore. You are correct though ...the design and construction of the 028 is very different than that of the 025/MS250.

Good advice on getting the saw vac and pressure tested. Also welcome to the site.

Being the owner of this saw, I had to chime in. I bought mine new in West Lyden in central NY.New in 1985 I spent about $330.This saw has never let me down and I will have it placed inside my coffin! I checked the compression a month ago and it is still at 168 lbs.Best tool I ever spent money on, Ken

I have used a ms250 a fair amount and it seems to be a decent saw alot lighter than the 028. Between the 290 and the 250 I would go with the 290 more power and if you weighed the 028 and 290 there probably isent alot of difference. I know that the 028 is lighter on paper but mine dosent come out to be that light great saw but not that light. The 290 isent a bad saw at all even with all the bashing it gets.

My local stihl repair guy is the one who told me that he thought it was main bearing noise. I suppose he could be wrong though since I don't really think he took a good look at it. Ill definitely check the side sprocket and see if that is the cause. I really hope so, because I did a little cutting with it the other day along side my neighbors 390 and the 028 was alot more fun. At least until I figured out it wasn't oiling. You guys are really talking me into just fixing what I've got. Thanks for the advice.

I would fix it hands down.Even if it needed a complete rebuild.

I would also opt for the 028Super top end.

Latest posts

Back