Replacing Husky 340.. used husky 55 offered, should I take it?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Steve, having extensive use of the 55/55R, do you think that they're better suited for .325 pitch setup?

All mine run 3/8 chain two are 16" and one is 18". The 18" is on there only because I had the bar and didn't want to buy another 16" bar. It will cut a full 18" in hardwood, but isn't going to set any records. I still feel the 55 with the 18" -3/8 has more umph than the 350 with any sized bar and chain combo.

two of them were setup .325 when I got them and tried them with husky branded oregon chain that was regular full chisel (no fancy anti kickback chain or anything) The 3/8 was about a second faster is roughly 10-12" piece of red oak.

Did the same tests with my dolmar 5100 and found the 3/8 again to be faster, even with the .325 x 8T rim.

I don't have any .325 saws, I like the 3/8 and the chain is more durable and forgiving.

Now if you are trying to cut a full 20" with the 55, the .325 may be a little better as it takes less bite than the 3/8 chain.

Troll still tells me I should have tried the stihl chain.....lol. got rid of the bars though. I never tried the 3/8 low po chain either. Besides, why have two differant sized chain if you don't need it?

Back