replacing oiler 018 Stihl

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's very unlikely the oiler is bad. I can't remember replacing one. It's almost always clogged lines or the worm gear behind the clutch.

If you review the manual that was sent to you, you will see that it requires a special tool to remove and install. You can substitute the special tool with a bolt (I think they are 6mm) and pull it out with a set of vice grips. You need to measure the installed depth, and re-install it to that depth. Fine particles can make their way into the pump. 99% of the time this junk will accumulate in the groove on the side of the pump. Clean it with brake clean, blow out the oil lines, and clean out the oil tank. It should be good to go then. Another common problem with the 018 and 180 is that the oil line will become old and allow air to be sucked in where it plugs into the bottom of the pump channel. It won't leak oil, but it will leak air enough that the pump can't prime. Replacement of the line will solve that issue.

I've had two bad oilers on this series of saw. (well, one 018 and one 019T). I have no idea of what could have gone wrong with the oiler as it's such a simple design but I tried everything before actually replacing the oiler and after I did, it worked again. I think every 018/MS180 saw I've had leaked oil while sitting, even with new oil lines installed. I just keep a rag in the bottom of the case and dump out the oil tank when finished for the day.
I use a long metric bolt to extract the oiler (about 2" long) not sure the size and thread pitch.
The 018 is a great limbing saw.

Back