Repower in progress - Leave generator alone or repower log splitter?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UpOnTheHill

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
So here's the deal. I'm pretty cheap, I like to call it resourceful. My log splitter engine (10hp old B&S) is tired and needs a lot of attention. I rerouted the plumbing and have been running the splitter off my kubota hydraulics to split wood which is a PITA and slow. It ties up the tractor among other things (slow). The splitter also has an old Cessna hydraulic pump which isn't designed to run a splitter, high pressure and low volume, and single stage. I've got a portable porter cable 5200 watt generator with a 10hp B&S on it that I use every 2 or 3 years. Shows how much I actually need it. It is like new and runs like a dream, I bought it new. I'm thinking about stealing the engine for the splitter and putting a nice 16gpm 2 stage pump on it. It should speed up the splitter and be reliable as can be. But then I'm left with a non-functional genny. Should I sell the genny? Probably wouldn't get much for it, maybe $200-$300. What would you do? FYI - I use my splitter often, I heat with wood.
Thanks in advance for your constructive advice.

P.S. - anyone have an engine and pump they want to trade for a nice portable generator? They would have to be in nice condition. Looking for a splitter valve also.

Good luck putting a pump on the gen shaft, i'll bet you it's tapered, NOT the straight/splined shaft that you need.

SR

Don't get rid of a good running generator. Freaking priceless when you need one.

25 bucks gas versus 250 bucks worth of meat in the freezer...stuff like that.

Harbor freight new engine for cheap and the win! Those things are cheap, they work. About lebenty zillion things have been repowered with them.

lemme look...they are having memorial day sale now, maybe find a coupon to go with it?

Thanks for the replies, you fellas makes sense.... Sometimes;). Gonna have a look around the iNteRwEb tomorrow to see what I can find on the cheap. Harbor freight, here I come!

How about one of those small diesel engines? Will run forever on a gallon of diesel.

If you are looking to save money keep an eye out for a riding mower with a busted deck or shot transmission. Last one I picked up had a 19hp Briggs twin IC engine that was new and I paid $65.00. He put in the new engine and then the bearing went out on the deck. He was asking $150.00 but it sat for two months so he dropped the price to $100.00. I offered $65.00 expecting a counter offer but he took it. Told me he felt guilty taking money for it and said if it hadn't sold by the weekend he was going to dump it.

I regularly see running mowers in the $100.00 to $300.00 price range.

Add a pump and mounting bracket and you've got good reliable power for years to come.

Mr. HE:cool:

I have gotten free riding mowers off of CL. Just keep looking and you can find one free or for cheap.

I printed out the coupon this morning and took a trip into the city to harbor freight. I picked up the 6.5hp predator engine for $99. I don't know how in the wild world of sports they are selling these engines for this price. Looks like a great little OHV engine. I'll do a thread on it with pics in the near future as the repower comes along. It reminds me of a Honda except its black and costs little more than a tune-up kit for a Honda. I'm going to see if I can get it coupled to my Cessna pump to see how it does before I spend $ on a new pump.

Well here you go picture fanatics.... I have 1 fitting to buy and a pail of new fluid before I can try it out. I'll run in to TSC in the morning. I screwed the little guy down to my saw horses and ran it for a little over an hour to help seat the rings, occasionally changing the rpms slightly. I added oil and gas and no kidding, 1 pull it was running. I can't believe how quiet it is compared to my old briggs. Very smooth also and throttle response seems crisp. image.jpg image.jpg

Latest posts

Back