Request for tree identification, please

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheLazyBFarm

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
A total of three trees, however two of them are identical. All pics are via my cellphone, sorry for the lousy resolution.

The first tree, rotten at the bottom, leaning quite a bit:

RottenTreeII.jpg

RottenTreeIII.jpg

Trunk of leaning tree and you can see the other two dead trees in the background:

RottenTreeI.jpg

The two dead identical trees:

DeadtreeI.jpg

Closeup of one of the two dead identical trees:

DeadTreeII.jpg

No pics of the leaves since there were none and we haven't cut them down yet, so no pics of the wood.

Any and all help appreciated!

Thanks,

Last pic looks like ash bark

No idea of other pics

The leaning tree looks to have "pimply" bark... Hackberry... I say cut em' down and give us a looksee at what's inside!:chainsaw:

We plan to, next week.

However, the issue is what kind of tree it is to see if I can cook/smoke with it. Since it's not an evergreen and looks like a hardwood, I'll *probably* be ok.

If not, then I won't bother taking it home, the land owner will just take it to his "tree dumping" area and let it rot away.

The leaning tree does look a bit like hackberry. On the others my feeling from the branching habitat is they are some type of oak. The bark doesn't seem to do much to reveal the species. Pretty tough call on these, all we can give are wild guesses.

The leaning tree does look a bit like hackberry. On the others my feeling from the branching habitat is they are some type of oak. The bark doesn't seem to do much to reveal the species. Pretty tough call on these, all we can give are wild guesses.

W.A.G.'s are what we specialize in...:D Has anyone tried to cook with Hackberry? I wouldn't call it a very fragrant smoke. I burn a lot of it, and wouldn't want my food to taste like it...:fart:

More pics of the cut down leaning tree (first tree pictured in the OP). We only cut down the leaning tree since that's the one that posed a threat to the tree owner's horses that he keeps in that pasture.

Can anyone get a better idea of what kind of tree this is with these pics?

Thanks,

0416111050.jpg

0416110947.jpg

0416110908a.jpg

0416110908.jpg

0416110907a.jpg

All tree pics here

Stage of growth affects the bark. Size and growing conditions. I've seen Hackberry with almost smooth bark and even furrowed bark. Bark pics on the internet leave a lot to be desired.

Great, no wonder it's hard to figure out what kind of tree it is.

Gotta a better tree ID site?

Thanks,

Latest posts

Back