Requesting Wood I.D.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Disregard the bark. Red / Swamp maple is a notorious chameleon.
The pictures of the split piece tells the truth.

Here's a link to prove my claims.

CHECK THIS BARK.

I know you are in love with the thought that this is Maple, but that picture in no way resembles the OP's pictures.Show me a nice picture of the end grain and bark of a Red Maple and we'll talk.

Hah, Just what I was thinking. The OP's picture bark is way too thick for Maple but.....WTH is it?
Any leaves still stuck on old branches laying around?

Any leaves still stuck on old branches laying around?
Nope sorry.

Disregard the bark. Red / Swamp maple is a notorious chameleon.
The pictures of the split piece tells the truth.

Here's a link to prove my claims.

CHECK THIS BARK.

Bark looked just like that. The rest of the trees on the street looked exactly like this pic. The pic says it's of a Sugar Maple, but the bark has a silver tint to it. Now, I don't know why Silver Maple is called "Silver" Maple, but it's a little confusing. :dizzy:

Nope sorry.

Bark looked just like that. The rest of the trees on the street looked exactly like this pic. The pic says it's of a Sugar Maple, but the bark has a silver tint to it. Now, I don't know why Silver Maple is called "Silver" Maple, but it's a little confusing. :dizzy:

I think Silver Maple is named for the sheen of the underside of the leaves.Of course we'll all need to wait awhile to see this for ourselves!

I can see why there's folks that think it's hickory. They don't grow this far north too well, but I've seen a few and the bark looks like a decent match.

The grain in the split does really have that maple figuring. Looks a little more like sugar maple than red. Especially since the OP had to struggle to split it.

I can see why there's folks that think it's hickory. They don't grow this far north too well, but I've seen a few and the bark looks like a decent match.

The grain in the split does really have that maple figuring. Looks a little more like sugar maple than red. Especially since the OP had to struggle to split it.

Good point on the Hickory.Notice all of the Hickory guys are from south of you.I still don't think Maple because of the bark.The Sugar Maples I know start as saplings with smooth bark.They grow ridges as they age, yes, but you can still see the underlying smoothness.Same with the Reds and the Silver.I think we better keep this thread alive

I'll get some more pics of the wood pile over the weekend.

Here's some more of it, though it doesn't have that brown core like the last log:

newlog9.jpg

newlog10.jpg

newlog11.jpg

newlog12.jpg

newlog13.jpg

maple I think from the split pictures the bark is off though.

I think I said earlier sugar rather than red maple. I'm coming around more to red. Like the Oldtimer said, red/swamp can be real chamelion like. I have some red maple in my pile with bark just like that. Incidentally, the rounds were tough splitting. Red maple's usually easy splitting, but the occasional tree will give you a real workout if you're a maulswinger like me.

Back