results from running too lean?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CedChop

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I know that running a 2cycle too lean it can overheat and lose compression. What ultimately gets damaged from the overheat? Rings wear out, cylinder get's scored, piston messed up? On 4 cycle it seems that its the valves that go first.

Scoring on the exhaust side of piston and cylinder as well as the transfer of aluminum on the exhaust side will usually pin the rings down, losing compression. It basically destroys the whole top end.
What he said, if ran too long kaboom. It usually dont take long. This happens with air leaks or set to far on the high screw. lean on the low side makes hard starting, crappy idle or will not idle , boggy throttle.

What he said, if ran too long kaboom. It usually dont take long. This happens with air leaks or set to far on the high screw. lean on the low side makes hard starting, crappy idle or will not idle , boggy throttle.

That explains those 2 screws really well and simple.... thanks for that

My 5020 when I got it from a guy Puerto Rico. After I rebuilt it I found the problem was a really lean mixture. The cylinder was nearly toast too.
20160331_174922.jpg

Back