Retirement age for arborists

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
4.5 years ago, I watched an 81 yr-old climber take three 4'+ x 100'+ black locust trees down from the top in a residential area in less than three hours. He sharpened his 2 saws 3 times each during that period. Took a drink of water between each tree. He was highly skilled, didn't waste any motion, had a ground crew who loved him and were in total awe of their boss.

Retirement isn't for me. I just went down to FLA two weeks ago to my younger brothers retirement home. He's semi retired and prepping for the day. Can't do it yet. Sitting around all day, go to the pool and then nap and then more pool then dinner. 👎
I'll be working till I die or I'm unable to even remotely work a little. 60+ right now.

I'm 68 yrs old, and 3-5 hours with a saw in my hands is enough for a day - depending upon heat/weather and my energy levels. If I'm not feeling strong and alert, I pack it in for the day. The other day in 2' of snow and windy, sub-zero F temps, I was done after 3 tanks. I hope to be cutting wood for another 10-15 years. I don't climb, too old to start. If I were still in my 50s or younger, I'd consider getting into it.

Wonder what @plang228 decided to do?
If he's 30 now, he was 17 when he posted... that's a lot of forethought and future planning for a teenager. 👍
Maybe the question was for a class report. :laugh:
He ended up having a baby soon after this post, That’s how we got ole Oliver YouTube super star! @ODDS AND ENDS SAW SHOP haha.

My plan B will be head key maker at the home depot ...
Dealing with management and doing the work of 3 people ? I did it 5 years and went back the woods where I belong. Have not climbed since I was 35, rotater cuff damage. 68 and still do firewood harvest on the ground. I will do it as long as possible. It will be hard for me to stop, it's all about the love of the job and mountains.

I'm 68 yrs old, and 3-5 hours with a saw in my hands is enough for a day - depending upon heat/weather and my energy levels. If I'm not feeling strong and alert, I pack it in for the day. The other day in 2' of snow and windy, sub-zero F temps, I was done after 3 tanks. I hope to be cutting wood for another 10-15 years. I don't climb, too old to start. If I were still in my 50s or younger, I'd consider getting into it.
What gloves do you use to keep your hands warm at sub-zero F temperatures?

Back