Retune after switch to synthetic?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blel

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Was just using my saw (028) with reg Stihl 2 stroke oil. I ran out of gas and put in gas with Woodland Pro synthetic. The smoke was unbelievable, ran like crap. Got it going again and gas was pouring out of muffler. Trying to retune carb but seems something else is going on. Any suggestions?

Last edited:
Was just using my saw (028) with reg Stihl 2 stroke oil. I ran out of gas and put in gas with Woodland Pro synthetic. The smoke was unbelievable, ran like crap. Got it going again and gas was pouring out of muffler. Trying to retune carb but seems something else is going on. Any suggestions?
I think you have non oil related issues.I run woodland pro syn in all my saws but had no tuning issues with any of them from before when running other brands of syn, syn blends and dino.

What I don't understand is that it was running great, ran out of gas, put in gas w/synthetic, started it and it immediately started to smoke like mad. It seems the smoke is coming from the gas pouring out of the muffler. It seems like there is too much gas going into the cylinder.

The carb kit is relatively new.

Last edited:
If I had to speculate, I'd say when you ran it out of fuel, you sucked something into the carb that is keeping your metering valve open, allowing the saw to flood.

Mike

If I had to speculate, I'd say when you ran it out of fuel, you sucked something into the carb that is keeping your metering valve open, allowing the saw to flood.

Mike

:agree2:

I'm no saw mechanic, not by a loooong way, but I have to agree. That's just WAY too much of a change in behaviour to blame it on the synthetic oil.

If some experts come along and say you need to retune after switching oils, I'll just listen respectfully, 'cause I sure don't know enough about it to argue.

But gas pouring out? Something broke! :dizzy:

You should not really have to retune after switching oil, sometimes you can push things alittle closer to the edge with the syn. Whatever you got going on has nothing to do with oil.

Thanks for the comments. After thinking about it, it make sense that it is a carb/gas problem and only a coincidence that it happened when I switched to synthetic. I'll take the carb off and clean, etc.

Back