Returned the 5100, brought home a 359

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll go a few rounds with ya

Just out of curiousity...why is it, on this board, that the 260, which is a spec-sheet turd in comparison to just about every single other 50cc saw out there, is a "tried-and-true performer," but the 2159/359, which weighs a few OUNCES more than other saws, and has a couple TENTHS fewer horsepower, is a second-rater? Hell, the 260 is a spec-sheet has-been, vibrates like a paint shaker, and can't keep it's filter clean to save it's own cheap carburetor. But it's a "solid, proven runner," right?

Facts is facts, folks...the 2159/359 is a tried-and-true performer, priced right, and will be a very, very fine saw for many years to come. I live in the tenth largest metro area in the country, and we have a total of *a* Dolmar dealer. Yup, in numeric terms, that is an "uh." And he's an axehole to deal with. (Yes, there is another rental yard listed on Dolmar's site, and no, he hasn't stocked one in ten years. He didn't even know he was on the site.) And the one "dealer" doesn't even carry the danm 5100. What incentive is there to buy one? I don't work on my stuff either...I've got too much woodworking yet to learn.

I think the OP made a danm fine choice. He weighed his priorities, and ended up with a great saw. I loved my 2159, and it was still picking up speed after 20 tanks.

p.s. I had a sh!tty day at work today, so anyone want to go a few rounds, I'm lookin' to PARK one tonight! :D

How long has that tried and true 2159/359 been out????

I'd say highly overrated, because it responds well to mods (that most real people don't do).

Compared to the 5100, it weights a lot more (more than the specs tell you), has an outboard clutch, lesser quality cylinder, and hardly more power for the extra weight, not even low end torque.......:censored: :rolleyes:

I certainly don't want a 359, but the 5100 is great!
Now now now Mr Troll. I think the 359 is a fine saw. You should get one for yourself! Open that muffler up and let it scream.

Well Woodie, it's interesting you bring all of this up!!
I don't really care for the 260, it's a good saw and all, but for the money, no thanks!!
The 346xp, well, the next one I get better be running and they better hope they kill me when the shove that sucker in my back!!! That's how much I think ot them!!
In that class, I'll buy 350's all day long!! Yup, I said it!!
I have yet to run a 5100, and if I were to have the OP's problems with parts, I wouldn't!!
I have always said, and will say it again, find a decent dealer, then pick from the saws he carries!! That is more important than anything, all of the makers have decent offerings, so the dealer seals the deal for me!!!
My thing with the 359:
I have seen what that saw has the potential of doing, I just wonder why Husky can't make an effort to get it a little closer to that from the factory? It's tried and true, it's proven, it's rock solid, but with a little effort, it will eat bigger saws for lunch!!!!

Still want to dance?:)

I recall about a year ago thinking about getting a 2152 and having it Hearded. Talked to Ed, he strongly advised me to go with the 2159 instead. I ended up deciding against a modded saw afterall, but if the 2159 were a substandard saw, why would one of the most respected saw builders in North America urge me to get one?

He loves 'em...shouldn't that tell you guys something? He's not gonna do a $300 job on a saw that isn't gonna hold up. Sure tells me something about durability right there. If it's a good-enough platform for him...

There is a fine line between tried and true and obsolete and overpriced. The 260 falls into the latter, but people keep buying them

Still want to dance?:)

Okay...first things first...I don't play for that team!!
:ices_rofl: :ices_rofl: :ices_rofl:

I have yet to run a 5100, and if I were to have the OP's problems with parts, I wouldn't!!

I have always said, and will say it again, find a decent dealer, then pick from the saws he carries!! That is more important than anything, all of the makers have decent offerings, so the dealer seals the deal for me!!!

My thing with the 359:

I have seen what that saw has the potential of doing, I just wonder why Husky can't make an effort to get it a little closer to that from the factory? It's tried and true, it's proven, it's rock solid, but with a little effort, it will eat bigger saws for lunch!!!!

Secondly...we are in complete agreement on all those points, particularly the dealer part. :cheers:

There is a fine line between tried and true and obsolete and overpriced. The 260 falls into the latter, but people keep buying them

Wrong, that saw has served many people for many years. Try to tell a guy that has been running a 026 since the 1990's, to check out the 346xp.....

You run what works, the 026 does that very well.:clap:

Don't miss the forest for the trees. I have not said one bad thing about the 2159/359. If it works for the guy, fine and dandy. Not my cup of tea.....

Your old enough to drink tea. Id hate to see what that caffine does to you. You"ll be running around all day in the kitchen baking.

Long enough? Tell me when they have passed the 026/260...........

Oh yeah, that's right, ain't going to happen

You bet it won't.

Cause Jred/Husky doesn't let their line get OBSOLETE IN THE MARKETPLACE!!!!! Their customers won't let 'em!!!!

NEXT!

Wrong, that saw has served many people for many years. Try to tell a guy that has been running a 026 since the 1990's, to check out the 346xp.....

You run what works, the 026 does that very well.:clap:

Just because they dont know the saw they are using is a turd doesnt mean its not a turd...

Don't miss the forest for the trees. I have not said one bad thing about the 2159/359. If it works for the guy, fine and dandy. Not my cup of tea.....

Im not accusing you of talking down the 359. And once again Ill say that Im not trying to spar with ya. All Im trying to say is that if you have never ran one how do you know for a fact that it isnt your cup of tea? There is nothing wrong with being a hardcore Stihl man, hell I like them myself but you say that besides the Stihls that Dolmar is the only other brand that you would run. Husky makes some pretty good ones too, atleast the ones that Ive ran have been. Cheers.:cheers:

Im not accusing you of talking down the 359. And once again Ill say that Im not trying to spar with ya. All Im trying to say is that if you have never ran one how do you know for a fact that it isnt your cup of tea? There is nothing wrong with being a hardcore Stihl man, hell I like them myself but you say that besides the Stihls that Dolmar is the only other brand that you would run. Husky makes some pretty good ones too, atleast the ones that Ive ran have been. Cheers.:cheers:

Good point! I go back and forth with the Jred/husky to keep this place fun. I know they make good saws. From the few huskies I've run, I'll just stick with Stihl for now.:cheers:

Shoot if it will cut wood I would run it and be happy.

Andy.... we all know your an Echo man way down deep inside.

v/r

Mike

Latest posts

Back