Returning Phone Calls

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
for you treeclimber....i prolly should!!

whats laughable is your tunnel vision!!! I guess if you dont know what to do & need to be told by the home owner... then meeting with them is necessary!

I cant imagine telling my plumber "yeah but ill have to be there so I can tell you what pipe goes where" LMFAO......your outdated thought process in this regard is what keeps this profession in the dark ages!!

follow the A300 & BMP`s & you`ll have no problem!! you do know what these are? right? LOL

LXT..............

Its not tunnel vision its a business choice , if you hire a plumber you just call and say I HAVE A BROKEN PIPE IN MY HOUSE and trust that he will come and do the job exactly to your satisfaction .... I think that a good relationship is built with a face to face interview so to speak and a hand shake , I also believe heavily in strong customer retention and referrals how can you say anything when you never met the contractor , he may a junkie tattooed idiot sniffing your wifes underwear watching pay per view instead of fixing your broken faucet , I do know how to prune and remove and guaranteed you couldn't steal one of my customers if you tried , so whats next ... On the otherhand condominiums and apartment assoc. are all look at the bid sheet and price the work often I never meet them but thats fine , but RES. work always ..

Your exactly right , and thats what I feel when they say just leave it in the door or the mailbox , I usually say #### that and save my gas .

I gotta agree with ya there.

I'm actually pretty damn good at selling myself and I feel ripped off if I don't get a chance to meet with the customer. I'm sure we've all gotten a job or two at a higher rate than a competitor, based on our knowledge/salesmanship.

I gotta agree with ya there.

I'm actually pretty damn good at selling myself and I feel ripped off if I don't get a chance to meet with the customer. I'm sure we've all gotten a job or two at a higher rate than a competitor, based on our knowledge/salesmanship.

I just want the chance to get on the property and walk with the Homeowner and just look around chances are I can find a few extras that I can at least try to sell them on , such as trimming additional trees/landscape plants or a stump here or there , I firmly believe there will never be the DEATH OF A GOOD SALESMAN,

Last edited:
Look meeting a customer is always good! but when you have been doing it for years, your service & reputation speak for you!!!

I have many repeat customers that just tell me to look at their trees & do whatever is needed & then I have referred customers who will say " I heard whatta great job you did at so & so`s, could you do my trees?" & many times these customers I never even meet.......but im back year after year!!

I can bid either way........but to have to meet a customer or you say **** it!! how stupid!! & if my service was in your area...Id own most of your customers by now treeclimber & thats a fact!!!!

I just think to snub someone because they cant be there is wrong & Ill gladly take that business.

LXT.................

Look meeting a customer is always good! but when you have been doing it for years, your service & reputation speak for you!!!

I have many repeat customers that just tell me to look at their trees & do whatever is needed & then I have referred customers who will say " I heard whatta great job you did at so & so`s, could you do my trees?" & many times these customers I never even meet.......but im back year after year!!

I can bid either way........but to have to meet a customer or you say **** it!! how stupid!! & if my service was in your area...Id own most of your customers by now treeclimber & thats a fact!!!!

I just think to snub someone because they cant be there is wrong & Ill gladly take that business.

LXT.................

Don't get all huffy lovey , I am just saying its a business choice if you wanna be the GHOSTLY TREE HACK that no one has ever met than thats fine but me not a chance , and what would you say to my customers , I KNOW YOUR USED TO FACE TO FACE INTERACTION BUT NOW YOUR JUST GONNA KNOW I WAS THERE by the sawdust on the picnic table and a bill in the box , and hopefully the dogs not pregnant lol I am just saying if your way was the BEST than there would only be that way and you would be the DONALD of trees but its not and your not , so smile and celebrate diversity

Just got off the phone with a woman that asked if I service her area. She is about 12-15 miles out of town. I told her I would come out that far and look at her trees. Says she has many "huge" trees that need to be "trimmed". I am busy the rest of the week but told her I would come out there one day if she would be able to meet me. She said she wouldn't be able to meet me any day this week. I told her I like to meet with people when we are discussing pruning their trees. She said that sounded like a good plan. Made an appointment with her for Saturday.

If I go that far out you better believe that I am dam sure gonna get a face to face.

Last edited:
Just got off the phone with a woman that asked if I service her area. She is about 12-15 miles out of town. I told her I would come out that far and look at her trees. Says she has many "huge" trees that need to be "trimmed". I am busy the rest of the week but told her I would come out there one day if she would be able to meet me. She said she wouldn't be able to meet me any day this week. I told her I like to meet with people when we are discussing pruning their trees. She said that sounded like a good plan. Made an appointment with her for Saturday.

If I go that far out you better believe that I am dam sure gonna get a face to face.

RIGHT THATS WHAT I AM SAYING , and for God sakes would you please shoot that damn cat its creapy as hell

if you hire a plumber you just call and say I HAVE A BROKEN PIPE IN MY HOUSE and trust that he will come and do the job exactly to your satisfaction ....

Key words above: trust & satisfaction!

ya see, to stand in front of a home owner & try to bully sell them on crap they dont need done.....as you put it "the extras" is the mark of a struggling company, Yes I like to meet the customer!! But, the difference between me n you is that my customers that are sight unseen.....trust me & are satisfied when my service is done!!!

I imagine you dont do too much state work, parks, roads, townships, boroughs, etc... cause all this type work is sealed bid & you pretty much never meet the hiring entity.......I love the guys selling to homeowners that want the "extras".....ma`am, that tree right there is bad!!! whew wee that one over yonder is waiting to fall!!! then I come to look as the second opinion & usually get paid for such!! funny how I look at the same trees as Mr. tree wang did & there is absolutely nothing wrong with them!!

I hate salesmen, especially salesmen looking for something.....cause the lowly bastids will always find something wrong "minor" & wanna make a killing on it!

LXT................

Key words above: trust & satisfaction!

ya see, to stand in front of a home owner & try to bully sell them on crap they dont need done.....as you put it "the extras" is the mark of a struggling company, Yes I like to meet the customer!! But, the difference between me n you is that my customers that are sight unseen.....trust me & are satisfied when my service is done!!!

I imagine you dont do too much state work, parks, roads, townships, boroughs, etc... cause all this type work is sealed bid & you pretty much never meet the hiring entity.......I love the guys selling to homeowners that want the "extras".....ma`am, that tree right there is bad!!! whew wee that one over yonder is waiting to fall!!! then I come to look as the second opinion & usually get paid for such!! funny how I look at the same trees as Mr. tree wang did & there is absolutely nothing wrong with them!!

I hate salesmen, especially salesmen looking for something.....cause the lowly bastids will always find something wrong "minor" & wanna make a killing on it!

LXT................

Really cause I was taught good salemanship from one the best at Bartlett and its not bullying at all , and I am hardly struggling as a matter of fact you could buy plenty of trombones with the money I made lately and I have managed to keep my children fed and my wife happy for a long time with a little left over for the dogs so frankly EAT ME Mr HOLLAND As far as the state work , we do gov. as well Cheech so go sell your crap somewhere else and guess what I try to meet as many of them as well its called NETWORKING you know what that is right? lol

Last edited:
RIGHT THATS WHAT I AM SAYING , and for God sakes would you please shoot that damn cat its creapy as hell

Look my lil cream puff, if its a large job and trimming then yes ya wanna meet the customer....but if its 2 dogwoods & a crabapple theres no need to meet for that & again if you have a good service & reputation many will trust you!! this takes years.....

Now this may come as a surprise to you, but leaving the contract for them to sign & send back in the SASE is not so unheard of, before you spit out the man loving bolo ball & stand upright discharging ky on the floor....you need to understand that many companies have the ability to bid either way!!! you dont!! I do....& therefore is the difference..

LXT................

Look my lil cream puff, if its a large job and trimming then yes ya wanna meet the customer....but if its 2 dogwoods & a crabapple theres no need to meet for that & again if you have a good service & reputation many will trust you!! this takes years.....

Now this may come as a surprise to you, but leaving the contract for them to sign & send back in the SASE is not so unheard of, before you spit out the man loving bolo ball & stand upright discharging ky on the floor....you need to understand that many companies have the ability to bid either way!!! you dont!! I do....& therefore is the difference..

LXT................
Oh so all that PRO #### is out the window now...So do you charge them for the stamp as part of your revolutionary service from the future since interaction is antiquated or does it grow on your desk through osmosis ?

Really cause I was taught good salemanship from one the best at Bartlett and its not bullying at all , and I am hardly struggling as a matter of fact you could buy plenty of trombones with the money I made lately and I have managed to keep my children fed and my wife happy for a long time with a little left over for the dogs so frankly EAT ME Mr HOLLAND As far as the state work , we do gov. as well Cheech so go sell your crap somewhere else and guess what I try to meet as many of them as well its called NETWORKING you know what that is right? lol

I should of guessed...........a Bartlett hack, now I know why you use bully salesman tacticts, Most around here despise Bartlett, customers that is!! kill a mans prized white oak grove & then wanna charge em $18,000.00 for it!

whew wee........a lil salty there are ya? you sure your wife is happy??? I mean with your networking skills and all.....golly gomer, you is an ex bartlett man.........I wouldnt tell too many people that......you might as well be a groin cloth. LMFAO

LXT............

I should of guessed...........a Bartlett hack, now I know why you use bully salesman tacticts, Most around here despise Bartlett, customers that is!! kill a mans prized white oak grove & then wanna charge em $18,000.00 for it!

whew wee........a lil salty there are ya? you sure your wife is happy??? I mean with your networking skills and all.....golly gomer, you is an ex bartlett man.........I wouldnt tell too many people that......you might as well be a groin cloth. LMFAO

LXT............
No not a Bartlett hack at all but seriously are you for real ? I can't even with you its just too easy to show how big of a GRAPE SMUGGLER you are , I don't even need to respond to you I could just put your post in bold and listen to people giggle all over the country , I think that You should leave the heavy work to men and go cut some grass somewhere, I bet you use a spider cause ya can't climb without spikes ... OR a crane to remove a dead rhododendron behind a pool ..Prolly not you just leave javier and Pedro to figure it out ..I really hope that some one else is reading this post right now and please for the love of OBAMA speak up..

Last edited:
Really every situation is different. There is no set script you can go by for sales. People are individuals and like to handle things differently. I prefer to get a face to face with the potential client if possible but some people are busy and don't have time to meet all the servicemen who come to work on their homes. The last one I did the guy has a very demanding job and works a lot of hours as well as owning 20 rental properties. He had me out there working, a pool company building a pool in his backyard and three different landscape companies: a turf management company, a lawn spray company and a landscape installation company, all out there working during the time I was there. If he took the time to meet every contractor working on his place he would never be able to get his own job done. He hired me on a referral, met with me the first time, checked my bid with another company then called me back. He expects the people he hires to be professional tradesmen and hires only on referrals.

I also had a woman call me a few years back when we got hit by an ice storm. She had two properties she wanted me to take care of. Her home and another home she owned that was housing and health care for people with severe developmental handicaps. She told me to just look at the properties, do what needed to be done and bill her. Said she wanted to deal with someone local that she could trust and didn't want to have to deal with any "tree people" lol. I guess she had been getting hit on pretty hard by out of town door knockers.

Last edited:
This thread has turned into a bit of a pissing contest. Hey guys, if your system works for you, great.

I'll try to stick to the original topic.

Yes, I'll always return a call. Even if it is to tell them I'm too busy to meet them right away (or look at their tree this week).

I mainly do removals, which is pretty straight forward... remove the tree.
I would rather meet with the customer if possible. Any tree company (worth its salt) can do the job, I sell the customer on me.

The first step on selling them on me is returning their call promptly.

LOL, its all in fun!!

Yes I am for real about the Bartlett story pertaining to a grove of Oak trees that Bartlett treated & within days they all died, apparently & im not sure there was a mis -diagnosis.

They did still charge him for the work & even after the fact pursued him for the $18,000.00, he did get an attorney & what is going on im not sure???

Now treeclimber....I got a spiderlift to do what a truck or climber cant do....dont be salty my lil nutpump!! someday when you get big you might be able to have one!!

Look...you worked for Hacklett, no biggie!! & if you like meeting all your customers to tongue punch their fart box with your non talented prattle...then by all means, give em both barrells!! whatever it takes!!!

LOL.....treeclimber101........that says volumes especially the 101 at the end! in life that means basic, beginner, entry level, unskilled, etc... you keep coming back we`ll teach ya!!! all in fun......take care!!!

LXT.................

Not giving a call back?????? Are you crazy? if i dont get a job right away ill wait a week and give them a call back about the job to see if they have somebody else come in. I also do a follow up call about a month later and ask them how they like my work and if i can do any more for them (usually they do). When you run your business you should always make sure that your clients are happy with your work and want more done.

LOL, its all in fun!!

Yes I am for real about the Bartlett story pertaining to a grove of Oak trees that Bartlett treated & within days they all died, apparently & im not sure there was a mis -diagnosis.

They did still charge him for the work & even after the fact pursued him for the $18,000.00, he did get an attorney & what is going on im not sure???

Now treeclimber....I got a spiderlift to do what a truck or climber cant do....dont be salty my lil nutpump!! someday when you get big you might be able to have one!!

Look...you worked for Hacklett, no biggie!! & if you like meeting all your customers to tongue punch their fart box with your non talented prattle...then by all means, give em both barrells!! whatever it takes!!!

LOL.....treeclimber101........that says volumes especially the 101 at the end! in life that means basic, beginner, entry level, unskilled, etc... you keep coming back we`ll teach ya!!! all in fun......take care!!!

LXT.................

Thats good stuff and its true money can buy just about anything it can even put a lawn monkey in a tree , so whats next you gonna ramble some sales BS about how you can't stand salesman and don't sell yourself to the customers I enjoy that greatly , Its funny that I knew you had that machine but you have been wrong about me in almost every aspect , I never worked for Bartlett , I am no beginner , and the "101" was given to me by a climber 10 years ago cause he said I constantly schooled him , and he was right and maybe one day since we are so close I will school you too ... Good luck now get out there and make that grass fly....

Back