Revelations!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CAMG3X

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Began working for a forestry contractor 1-2 years ago. Stihl was first and foremost when it came to running saws, our boss had his mind set on his crew running 361's-440's. I'd ask my boss what new saw to get, since the time came, and he'd only reply with stihl. Coworkers thought the same about stihl being the best, so thought I'd do some research and let them know on what else is out there. *(not bashing on stihl, am a stihl fan myself).

Disregarded the boss' suggestions and acquired a Husky 365, while other coworkers went husky 460 and Dolmar 6400. Interested in seeing the results.

Can't bad talk any of the top saw manufacturers, feel they are very similar just a personal preference and ergonomics.

(Coworker just got a new Stihl 261 after previously running a 260, can't say anything bad about it.)

"I refuse to see anything but a stihl in my truck rack, you hide that ####" (stihl head)

What ya'll think, any similar stories?

If you want to log with a husky go for the xp series, you kinda bought the wrong saws.

The dolmar aint a bad choice. :]

So if I read your post correctly, you guys bought new saws already and need the forum to validate those models' longevity, and prove your stihlhead boss wrong? Or are you saying that your new saws are better than your boss's? Either way, congrats on the new saws, and pics or it didn't happen!

The main advantage to staying with one brand is that you get familiar with that brand and know how to work on them. When you switch, there are all kinds of things that you thought you know but find different on the new brand. It's a whole new learning curve, and your boss probably doesn't want to pay you to learn.

Ted

Not looking for validation, yeah the 460 is a rancher saw and will only be used for limbing and slight thinning. Built this thread for humor and personal stories/situations, just thought it would be fun to share our switch from stihl.

I understand the argument for parts interchangeability, repairs, and learning a new saw. Happy to give a different brand a try, boss previously ran a Husky 576AT and blew it up so is even more for stihl.

Sorry if I mislead anyone on this thread

My neighbor, logger, is also 100% STIHL and I'm heading that way too cause there's only one saw dealer near, STIHL. I would like to play with 1 or 2 of the Huskys just to see what they're like.:msp_sneaky:

Not looking for validation, yeah the 460 is a rancher saw and will only be used for limbing and slight thinning. Built this thread for humor and personal stories/situations, just thought it would be fun to share our switch from stihl.

I understand the argument for parts interchangeability, repairs, and learning a new saw. Happy to give a different brand a try, boss previously ran a Husky 576AT and blew it up so is even more for stihl.

Sorry if I mislead anyone on this thread

Not misled here, I totally get what you are saying. The guys I work with all run stihls and joke around that I am "the last Husqvarna hold out" because that is about all I run. We have Husqvarna, stihl and Dolmar under the work bench and I grab the Husqvarnas nearly every time (occasionally I grab the Dolmar 5100 just because I like it for a change). Stihl makes great stuff but I have found that Husqvarna saws suit me better and when I pick one up, the controls are just second nature. If I grab a stihl, it is like picking up a totally different tool.

Everyone else will grab a stihl and go to work but at the end of the day, we are all happy and comfortable with what we run. I like the fact that my air filters stay way cleaner but I like the ease of using the inboard clutch on the stihls. The big Husqvarnas get the best of both worlds :soldier:

Hey Cam, glad to see you finally got your arboristsite colors...................AX. :msp_rolleyes:

Last edited:
Your Husky 365 will go head to head with any Stihl in that class, only trouble is there's no pro Stihl in that class. Not to worry, your Husky can compete just fine with the bigger Stihl's.

:agree2:

The 365 is a great saw for timber work, especially the 70.7cc X-torq models. Great for felling and bucking with some torque to spare. Hold your head high Husqvarna man!!

Around here no body bashes any of the big nomes Husky, stihl, dolmar...............it is more about friendly jabs at each other's equipment. I will say, every dolmar I have run so far impressed me as well.

Can't think of a downside to the 365; has more power than I need, good low end torque/throttle control, and some of the best ergonomics that I've had my hands on. Many thanks to Axlerod74 for hooking me up with a well maintained beast of a saw ;).

Main saw I've used as a comparison is the Stihl MS361, which is an awesome saw in it's self. Just lighter and less power being 10cc less. Surprisingly the 365 has less vibrations and the power band is very user friendly. Haven't needed to take it to max rpms, wouldn't like to for reliability reasons considering the saw powers right through.

Can't wait to try 24"-28" bar

The dolmar may have more low end grunt considering it digs about the same as the 365 using a 28" (Husky has 20").

So far crew has tried the saws and only had great things to say. Husky "she's zippy and light", while Dolmar "has grunt and a great sound".

Chainsaws are designed to run at full throttle in wood. You are not doing the saw any favors by babying it. Glad you like it, don't be afraid to use it the way it was intended to be used.

I'm in the same situation at work only it is a little more empty minded. Every one has Huskys so I decided to not go with the same orange and got a couple of Jonsered saws! One a sweet running 2055 and a 2171 with a big bore kit installed. Their comments are "junk" "no f------ good" and the kicker "forign saw":laugh:

Congrats on the new saw and enjoy it. I love my 365. Have a Stil on the way from a raffle so can't wait to try that out. I'm equal opportunity on saws.

Also welcom to AS.

Rep Sent

Yeah I use full throttle once in the wood, just don't moon rev it before every cut especially with cutting whips and limbs like I've seen some people do. Always best to have motor under load if High revving. Would really like to mount a tachometer to check revs from time to time.

Well the 365's an Angry chip spitting Beaver, hungry as ever for wood :msp_tongue:

What gains have people experienced from grinding the transfer case to make 372?
Don't really see the need for more power atm, just interested in your experiences

Latest posts

Back